what are these?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by eagleowl, Jan 31, 2007.

1. eagleowl

eagleowl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found these 2 items in a camera bag.
    They're branded mamiya,but what are they?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They appear to be an adapter to allow use of a standard cable release on a camera with an electronic shutter release system. Don't know what camera though one seems to have Mamiya molded on it..

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    John

When I graduated college my first job was in Montana. My friends throw me a dental floss party.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are both Mamiya accessories, most likely for the more recent 645 cameras.

They both permit use of a mechanical cable release on a camera that otherwise requires an electronic one. The one on the left also permits you to use the appropriate left side Mamiya handgrip, with both the hand grip trigger release and hand grip hot shoe being fully functional

Now, here is the tricky part.

They probably are for use on either an M645 Super, M645 Pro or M645 Pro Tl. I don't know whether they will also fit a 645E or 645 AF.

The tricky part is determining which camera or cameras they correspond to. The adapters do not have model numbers engraved on them (as far as I have been able to determine) and most of the information available (e.g. on the Mamiya Users forum) just gives model numbers.

The electronic connection is, IIRC, the same in all three cameras, but the physical layout is different between the 645 Super and the 645 Pro/Pro Tl. The bump on the lower left side of the camera body is differently shaped on the different models, and the adapters are differently shaped to fit.

I have both a 645 Super and a 645 Pro and I have the corresponding handgrip for both of them. The adapter that works with the Super, doesn't fit on the Pro, and vice-versa. IIRC, I can interchange the handgrips, but I cannot interchange the adapters.

I hope this helps.

Matt

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm pretty sure the one on the left is for the Super to go with the grip (as noted earlier).

6. eagleowl

eagleowl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt and Greg.
    I've got a super and a 645E,and I'm fairly certain they came as an ebay bundle with the super.

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They will both work with the Super, but I'm not sure both will work with the E body. I have Super and Pro bodies, so I can't be certain.

If you search I describe what needs to be done to make a long "electronic" shutter release out of one of those adapters. I have one that is about 50 feet with a simple push button on the end.