What are you paying for Silver Nitrate crystals?

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by AnselAdamsX, Mar 22, 2012.

1. AnselAdamsX

AnselAdamsX Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see the Formulary has 100g for about $300. I also see an eBay seller has 100g for $100. Anybody buying from the bay? What quantity/price do you normally buy?

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I get mine from Bostick and Sullivan. High quality, consistent quality, and dependable friendly people to deal with.

100 grams to 200gm of Silver nitrate is $1.29/gram (At $129 for 100 grams, that is less than half of PF's prices). 200gm to 500gm is $1.17/gram. Over 500gm is $1.10/gram.

I usually buy it 30 grams for $39 -- no extra shipping charges at this amount. Tho there was no extra charge when I last bought 50 grams from them.

Vaughn

3. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Check out Salt Lake Metals and Artcraft chemicals. Last time I checked, I think Artcraft was a bit cheaper.

Artcraft's website currently says $112.75 for 100 grams.

4. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just paid $39 for 30 grams from Artcraft.

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a euro a pergram is about average in europe.

6. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $2.40 a gram here is Australia, or $2.2 a gram if buy 100grams. Although the photochemical supplier (Vanbars) is try to charge $6.60 a gram

7. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shane, Where are you getting the Silver nitrate at $2.40 - $2.20 per gram? Saw Vanbar's price on the weekend. Wow!

8. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be interested to know why Vanbar has such very high prices right across the board. I won't even buy a single roll of film from them. $6.60 a gram forAgNO3!? You could probably source it from places like Melbourne Uni — if you're in 3Y Medicine...

As for AgNO3, IIRC is it +200gm in half that amount of water for it to be 100% soluable? That sounds like a big premium in terms of cost...

10. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Www.artcraft.com. The cheapest source for silver nitrate crystals bar none... $349 for a pound of it.

11. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here in Belgium it's a disaster to get Silver Nitrate locally, I know of one shop who sells it but you have to buy 100g at once at the whopping 420euro price-tag. I decided to just buy some pure silver and make my own crystals, it's not exactly rocket science to do.

12. Thebes

Thebes Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Uncle Goose, could you detail your safety procedures and estimate your costs please?

13. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Safety procedures are quite rudimentary, just gloves and safety glasses. The whole procedure of heating up and letting it react is of course done outside because of the toxic fumes. Cost?? well I got 70grams of pure silver in pellet form and paid about 58euro or so for it, the Nitric acid is less than 1 Euro or so since you using such a small quantity. In the end I got about 98grams of silver Nitrate, so I saved myself over 300euro just by doing it myself. I've done a few salt prints with it already so it's work pretty well.