What are your enlarger equipment source secrets?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by fil, Apr 5, 2005.

1. fil

fil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

OK, I just had to post this after reading yet another story of "Picked up a mint enlarger for nothing from Lab X which was dumping their gear". How do you guys find out about these deals?

Can anyone share their tips for uncovering these treasures? Yes, I know that I'm probably asking to see the magic trick revealed, but my budget for photography has essentially been zeroed out except for consumables and I'm lacking in the kit department when it comes to enlarging. I have a partially complete DII but I'm missing a few things and if there's a complete enlarger hanging about somewhere which I could nab for the haul-away...

I'm probably looking more for "call XXX businesses and see if they are going digital" type of advice, but let's see what the community says.

cheers
    fil

2. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm clearing out my Omega stuff. PM me and tell me what you're looking for.

3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I share your pain ... :confused:

In addition to the 4x5 enlarger, I'm still looking for the garage sale Leica. :rolleyes:

4. Jon King

Jon King Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    fil,

1) I think you just found one way :wink:

2) In MA, I'd try the Want Advertiser. I've seen photo and darkroom things there for good prices, but it's just pot luck what will be available.

5. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've gotten all sorts of odds and ends off eBay. Personally
    I think eBay is the Best thing to happen to old fashioned
    photography since Hypo. Dan

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fil,

Harvard Camera in Harvard, MA (not the University) went digital, and they are selling an enlarger. I picked up a nice easel from them. You might just wander in, and check it out, see if they have any more equipment for sale. It's been a couple of months since I've been there, but you might give them a call.

Good luck,
    Suzanne

7. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craigslist (www.craigslist.com). Search for "darkroom" under "for sale" in the city nearest you.

-chuck

8. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They all seem to be luxury SUVs around here and we wouldn't want to scratch the leather would we:rolleyes:.

9. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I second "craigslist.org"...I just got a clean Beseler 45 MCRX with 2 lenses from a person who was moving for a good price.

10. ras351

ras351 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I pestered a guy at work once every few months for a couple of years about the 4x5 enlarger sitting in the corner collecting dust. I was prepared to pay for it however it was eventually easier and cheaper for him to have it struck off the asset list and given away than to sell it. It's still cost money for lensboards, lenses, carriers etc. Don't underestimate the space taken up by some of the bigger enlargers - for corporate people floor area can be expensive.

I also had a word in at the local lab however that one didn't come through. Basically it's a matter of being patient, putting out enough 'feelers' to get a response and being in the right place at the right time. I haven't had much luck with ebay but that's probably more due to my geographical location than anything.

Roger.

11. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to places and talk to people. Photo shops, labs, colleges, clubs, printing businesses, gallaries, museums...the more leg work you do, the more success you'll have. Tell them what you're looking for and ask if they have any suggestions. If it's good, take some of your work along. Don't forget to leave your name and number. I've gotten lots of good stuff that way. Have a good idea of what you'd be willing to pay before you go, as you'll get lots of "make me an offer" type of things.

Peter
    www.desmidt.net

12. foraker

foraker Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    governments (city,state,county,federal) often have surplus equipment listed on the web that they are either selling or auctioning. another good source is universities. the federal labs also have surplus gear. i used to work at one (thank god i'm out) and their whole photo division was going digital and they were getting rid of all wet chemistry gear. unfortunately for me, they ended up donating most of it to local schools (which i'm surprised would be interested in it considering kids interest in digital stuff)

13. Jim McD

Jim McD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You just missed the Spring used photographica show in Watertown, Mass. sponsored by the Photographic Historical Society of New England-I saw a usable Beseler 23C sell for $5. I picked up my Beseler 45MX there for $200, but that was a few years back. The next show is in the Fall-check out www.phsne.org for dates. They also have an auction in February where I have been picking up darkroom equipment at rock bottom prices.

Also, try Hunts in Melrose -they always have some stuff hanging around

14. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    eBay! I have purchased cameras, enlargers, and lenses on eBay. If you miss one auction or get outbid- another identical or similar item will turn up shortly. Recently purchased a barely used, pristine Zone Vl Beseler 45 MXT.
    There is a lot of "old" analog photo equipment available at very reasonable prices.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005