What bag?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Franswa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Did a couple different searches on this forum but could not find much posted about bags. What kind of bag(shoulder bag, specifically) do you use to carry your MF gear for day to day use? Looking for some suggestions for carrying a Mamiya 645AF plus 2 lenses, a F100 and one lens and some accessories. No lap top slot necessary. Thanks in advance.

2. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm very happy with a Crumpler "6 million dollar home", but it will not accomodate a Mamiya PLUS a Nikon F100 (this seems a lot of equipment).

I use it for my Rolleiflex will all the accesories I own (Two Rolleinar, 5 filters, light meter, table top tripod + extension, spare film, cable release...) and there is some room to spare.

I use the same with my Hasselblad and a few filters and could stuff an additional lens in it.

3. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your reply, Laurent. I actually own the 7MDH, which I love, but even it's a little too cramped. I am kind of looking for something that is a little less satchel-like, that has a larger lid and internal compartment for easier access.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the Domke F2

5. r1ma

r1ma Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a Crumpler messenger bag with photo insert. Works quite well, and is a good messenger bag (I'd use it on a bike if it wern't full of equipment, it's got all the right straps).

I think it's the Complete Seed and insert/bucket/whatever they call them.

Don't know if it'll fit exactly what you want, but it will fit a M645 + winder (bigger than a 645AF IIRC) w/ an 80/2.8 and 150/4, two flashes, ~20 rolls in boxes, and a box of P sized filters. And still some room for notebooks/magazines, etc flat stuff. Never had any 35mm stuff in it though.

6. JeffGreene

JeffGreene Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been using an M-classics bag since 2004. I originally bought it for my rangefinder equipment but have found that it easily accommodated a Rolleiflex 2.8F, a Rolleiflex Automat and assorted accessories. It's a great bag. Here's the link. I have no connection to the company, just a very satisfied customer.

www.mclassics.com

:smile:

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Domke F2 also but sometimes it's just too large.
    I've found the Maxpedition backpack to work pretty well. The one I have can be used with both straps or as a single shoulder device. They also have sling bags and are very well made.

8. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro kit from here late last year, the seller thoughtfully shipped it securely inside a Lowepro Elite AW bag, and I haven't changed it since it's perfect! Right now in the main compartment I have the body with an 80mm lens, waist-level finder, and 120 back attached; another 120 back; right-angle finder; left-hand grip; and 150mm lens. The front compartment can hold my meter or a good supply of film. My only possible caveat is that it's rather cube-shaped, so it can be cumbersome hanging from the shoulder and works best carried from the top handle like a duffel, but any medium-format system would probably be as difficult with any bag.

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Domke F2 might be a bit snug; the F1X is roomier. Get the slightly pricier but more durable ballistic nylon. Both have adjustable inner dividers plus optional pieces that let you customize the inner bag. Lots of secure internal and external storage space, too. I have both and use the F2 for either a Bronica SQ-B or Mamiya ProTL kit and the F1X for Mamiya RB stuff. If you go for a Domke bag, get the USPS-style shoulder pad for all-day comfort. They're both glitz-less and don't draw attention.

10. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For an extensive MT system, or two smaller systems such as you have, I haven't found anything better than a Lowepro Omni (Trekker or Pro) which stores everything on one level and so eliminates the need to move one lens or body to reach another. The slim shape keeps the weight close to you and so reduces perceived weight. I use these with Op/Tech straps. The big problem is that LowePro discontinued these bags a while back though you might still find one around at a good price.

11. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was in JCPenney a couple of months ago I picked up a pair of Dockers Carry-On bags for about 30 bucks each; they're made of ballistic nylon and have shoulder straps. Add some Domke inserts and they'll carry just about anything. No, really.

Otherwise I have my Mamiya 645 Pro in a Billingham 225, with a couple lenses and an insert or two. If I plan to be shooting a lot, I have a Billingham Hadley Pro loaded with several backs, more inserts, and plenty of film. There may also be another lens in there.

13. Citizen_Erased

Citizen_Erased Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Lowepro Rover AWII to haul my RB67 around. It's a nice camera backpack with a padded bottom for camera stuff and a top half for trail mix or a flashlight. The bottom section holds the camera perfectly with the 90mm attached; however, the camera takes up the entire bottom half. Making holding other stuff, like lenses kinda difficult but you could always stash them in the top half. It has a lot of pockets to stash film, trail mix, or a light meter. It also has a handy waistbelt, chest strap deal and a tripod holder thingy which accommodates my Bogen 3011. Overall I like it, hauling the tripod, camera, and trail mix gets a little heavy but I'm young, 22, and I can handle the weight. :smile:

14. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost went with a F64 bag but simply couldn't tell about the quality and construction with what photos were available online. I went into my local shop to test out virtually every single bag and ended up getting the Domke F2. It's quite perfect for me, really. Enough room for the 645AF, space for 3(2 MF, 1 35mm) lenses, some film, an extra film back and my F100 in one of the side pocekts, which are rather generous with space. Thanks to you all for your replies, really appreciated. I can't believe it took that long to find the right bag! :smile:

16. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a beat to $#!+ army gas mask bag with two homemade dividers. It holds either a Rollei TLR or a Plaubel Makita 67 depending on which I want to shoot. One camera, one lens and not a lot of crap to haul around and confuse the issue. I can work fast and light.

And no one will think there is a valuable camera inside.