What C-print surface finish do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Mar 17, 2011.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was just fixing to add a box of Crystal Archive to my Freestyle cart. I have never printed color so I don't have much of an opinion on glossy, matte, or "lustre" finish. For framed prints with no glass, which surface finish do you prefer? Is there a difference in the darkroom, or just for display?

2. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like glossy more, but I use semi-glossy or "lustre" every now and then for some pictures. As you cannot control contrast as easily as in BW printing, I find that the semi-glossy finish gives a little bit lower contrast "look" to the print. If you can afford buying only one finish, take glossy, but having also semi-glossy at hand can be fun as some variation can be refreshing.

The Kodak papers I have print exactly with same filtration and printing times regardless of finish.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think the glossy is too shiny. I prefer the matte since it reduces the gloss with out having a lot of texture like the lustre, which obscures very fine detail in my opinion.

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use matt surface for portraits and gloss for all else.