What camera are you lusting after, and why?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by david b, Oct 29, 2008.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I impatiently await the arrival of my latest acquisition, I ponder if there will be another must have camera in my future (aside from the new Fuji/Cosina)?

So what camera are you lusting after and why?

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately they don't make it.. Basically a Leica SLR that's the same size or smaller than the M series.

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Me too. I'm lusting for a lightweight, waterproof, unshakeable in storm force winds, dust repelling 4x5 field camera. Wish me luck!

Murray

4. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A 2nd hand Leica M6. Sick of getting weird looks when I pull out the Nikon F5 in a restaurant.

5. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Big fat camera with a lens from 17mm up to 1000 mm f/1.4 or even f 2.8 probably a 6 X 6 format should suit me well. Then I woke up :=)

6. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mamiya RB67, as I'm more and more involved in Medium format, and I sometimes miss a reflex viewer and interchangeable lenses.

Rolleiflex 2.8F, because I LOVE my 3.5 and I'd like something more open

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got most of them now. RB67, Rolleicord, Speed Graphic.

The speed graphic I have is a bit beaten up and missing a few parts so I would like a nice original condition one. there's no hurry though and I will have to save up for it as they seem to sell for a lot more in the UK than they do in the US.

I may think about going to 10 x 8 one day too.

Steve.

8. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A medium format camera that I can mount an old Petzval lens on and have some semblance of a focus mechanism. Why? I really like some of the work I've seen (particularly here) with the Petzvals, but I'm not into large format.

I suppose the "official" answer is to get a view camera with a rollfilm back, but for me right now that just seems too large and awkward.

I may have to look into getting bellows for my Kiev 60 and modifying a body cap for this purpose (unless someone has a better idea, of course)...

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Lecia M series would be find with me.:wink:

Jeff

10. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An Ebony 8x10 with a suitable selection of wide to normal lenses

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bronica S2a and Rollei SL66 are good candidates for this kind of adaptation. The Bronica has a dual mount system--Bronica bayonet, and 57x1mm screw mount, designed so that press camera shooters could easily adapt their press lenses. The focusing helical or bellows is separate from the lens and the body, and there is a focal plane shutter, so you just need a Petzval and a threaded ring, which could be made by a machinist like SK Grimes (well, not the late Mr. Grimes himself, but the folks who took over his shop). The Rollei has bellows focus independent of the lens, but I don't know as much about the mount.

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    An 11x14. Yes, I've gone off the rails.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More lenses for my Hasselblad. I have my dream camera. Currently I only have the 80mm. Not interested in wide angle, so a 100mm, 120mm, 150mm, 180mm, and a 250mm would be absolutely fantastic. And a second body, a few more film mags, a prism.
    That's all I need.
    - Thomas

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmmm- RolleiWide, RolleiTele in medium format. Particularly the new RolleiTele, which can close-focus without closeup lenses. In ULF, I'm hot for a 12x20 that can be used in both landscape and portrait modes.

16. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have developed a lust for a 617 recently. Can't decide whether to get a 617 back for one of my 5x7s or perhaps I should try a fotoman...

*thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet...*

Lens-wise, I want a Nikon 45mm t&s lens.

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Further to my previous answer I would like to get the 28mm and 135mm lenses for the Kodak Retina Reflex III I bought recently. Perhaps I can make them my christmas present this year!

Steve.

18. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have my dream cameras to the point that now guilt is bigger than lust. However I do sort of lust for a completely adjustable controlable non analog camera so I can more easily put a bunch of stuff on auction. I never have owned even the cheapest of dgi camera in my life and have no interest except now I have a bunch of non photo stuff to sell.
    Dennis
    I would lust for a Rollei Tele but I fear being struck down for greed.

19. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any 6x12 or 6x17 (not a film back for a large format, a hand holdable kind) and an 8x10 cold light enlarger to print the bad boys.

20. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    after seeing Photomc's ritter....

a 12x20 ritter to replace my F&S 12x20.

21. jja

jja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got a Nikkor 45/2.8 AI-P, so now I need an FM2n, in chrome!

22. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love an Chamonix 8x10, the price jump over the 4x5 is significant though....Although thought I never would, after playing with my new Petzval using film. I have a hankering for wet plate..... It will happen, it's only a matter of when. I like the idea of 8x10 as I could do half plate with it, I am torn. I nearly had a moment of weakness and bought NZE's Whole plate Gundlach and Darlot lens for $250! for sale in the classifieds but had to resist.

At this point, I may think about 1/4 plate. For that I'd get a used Calumet 4x5 beater and something that the collodion and ether can drop all over without ruining the nice wood finish on my Chamonix.

Other than that, I think I have enough cameras for now...... David, I see you got rid of your large format gear and have been cleaning house in general....What new acquisition did you get?

23. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, would like a Leica MP but the practical part of me would settle for a Zeiss Ikon with a full set of lenses.

Would like a Nikkor AIS 35 f2, 20 f2.8, and a 180 f2.8 lenses.
    Also would like a Zuiko a reasonably fast 21 lens, a 28 f2, 35 f2, 100 f2.8 and 180 f2.8 lenses.

I am lusting after more leneses than cameras at this point.

24. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have been searching for a Speed Graphic or really a baby Speed graphic. I'm thinking the camera would be a great one while touring on my bicycle. I have searched and bidded on ebay but lost always by a small amount. I have a line on a regular size Graphic from Craigslist but I fear the seller has decided to sell on Ebay as well.
    Oh well the search goes on!

25. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For me it is the Leica IIIg, a user, though any Leica III or M would be very welcomed.

I have and use my IIIc daily but would like a more friendly viewfinder in a Leica III. The Leicas are easy to carry in my pockets and though I also use other vintage cameras, rotating them mostly on a whim as to which I'd like to use that day, I'd like to be able to keep my VC 28 Skopar and viewfinder on the IIIc and exchange lenses on the IIIg.

Eli

26. sionnac

sionnac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An old 20th century Girl Scout box camera, the kind I can use with 120 film. :smile: