What camera for Dave Anderson "Rough Beauty"?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by optique, Sep 5, 2007.

1. optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The subject says it, but I am curious about the camera and film used in Anderson's Vidor Texas pictorial, "Rough Beauty".

Unless I missed it, the book does not say, and apug and google do not reveal it either.

I really enjoyed the b&w photography, esp. the portraits. Makes me want to drive the 100 or so miles to see for myself.

Thanks in Advance.
    Steve.

2. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had dinner with Dave once... great guy and great photographer. He showed me the book in rough form and it was beautiful. I have neglected to get a real copy yet, but it is on my list. I do believe he shoots with Hasselblad, but as always, I could be mistaken.

3. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Definitely Hasselblad. Probably Tri-X.

4. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lived near Vidor (in Beaumont) for 12 years.... if you go--BE CAREFUL! :wink:

Did you see this work at Watermark Gallery? Lovely!

5. optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad and tri x, I guess I should have guessed with the square format of every single photo. This is the kind of work I would like to do.

There is a fair amount of text in the book. One nice section dealt with his experience gaining the trust of his subjects. If you know Vidor, you can imagine what that would be like for an outsider.

He also states he was influenced by Diane Arbus, who Wikipedia quotes as stating "I never have taken a picture I've intended. They're always better or worse". I thought that was nice.

Anyway, Thanks and you all have a good night. And Hi to everyone in Texas.
    Steve.

6. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was fortunite enought to meet Dave as a fellow student in a workshop in 2003 and I believe that it is Hasselblad. I believe that this was just prior to Dave's work really taking off and it was clear at the time that he has something special.

Cheers,
    Bill

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure what camera he uses, but it does look like tri-x. Not to be a wet blanket, here, but I saw his work when it was displayed at the Griffin Museum, and I was disappointed at the quality of his prints for the most part.

This was a rare case for me of preferring the work online to the prints in person. There were one or two that stood out, but I think his photographs suffered from a lackluster... well, kinda grey, presentation.

8. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I took a lighting class with Mr. Anderson in Summer '03 and he was gushing over his 'new' 'Blad..I remember the word 'addicted' clearly.

9. darthquaker

darthquaker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey all, Dave Anderson here. Still addicted to my Hasselblad. The film was mostly plus-x 220 (now discontinued) and occasionally tri-x 220 when in low light. Playing with t-max currently. As to Suzanne's print critique, a couple of the images were from very thin, underexposed negs that couldn't be coaxed much, but was quite happy with that show and most all of the prints.

Nice to "see" you all here.

Best,
    Dave

10. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave! Nice to "see' you here as well. Congratulations on the book! Well done.

Best,

Bill

11. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APUG is not that small anymore is it :tongue:

jan

12. DaveOttawa

DaveOttawa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dry blanket

Interesting, I saw this work exhibited at Contact in TO last year (I think it was) at Pixto and personally was struck by how good the printing looked along with how strong the images were Each to his/her own as always.