what camera? totally confused

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Discoman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess the miss board is where to post this.
    Okay, I recently got a 16mm sound projector. I want to try filming stuff to play on it.
    Problem is, it needs a little work. Rotten cords and the image is cut off on top and the next frame intrudes in.

Back on topic, what is a simple, or even better, affordable 16mm camera? It needs to record optical sound, as that is what the projector uses.
    Having minimal knowledge of all the different 16mm cameras, I'm needing help.
    I don't care about brand names or that stuff. It could be built in a shed by a blind Russian guy in 1946 for all I care. Weight is not a concern either.

Thanks in advance.

2. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Attached Files:

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would investigate processing costs before sinking too much thought ojn cameras into this project. I can always recall from 25 years ago the film school guys around uni being perpetually broke from film stock and lab fees.

4. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    okay, auricon. Thanks. I'll be watching for a while for those then before I pounce on a good one like a tiger from a trampoline.

well, I was planning on home processing, and pretty much only using B/W film. color stock would just be too expensive for the types of stuff I currently do.

although there is a local place that processes film, max size format i know they do is 120/220. 220 color negatives, negative processing only (last time I was there) was free, so the film (assuming I film something actually worthwhile) should be affordable, or at least cheaper than all the chamicals and building the special processing tank unit thing.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There should be a readily accessible adjustment for properly framing the image. Look for a knob or lever.

6. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    the only knobs so far are controls for sound, a tilt knob, and the advance knob.
    I've probably missed something, so I'll go back over it.

oh, and I wanted to post this old idea I found. someone should be interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodimages/5507298628/

posting link as the link image function wasn't working.

7. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There should be a moving mask behind the lens with a knob that moves it. Otherwise, the timing may be off. Someone may have had it apart and didn't time the gears right. I did that to my Bolex H-8. You can watch the film claw and shutter. The claw should have finished it's movement and start back as the shutter opens. Just a thought.

8. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I found the framer. It was hiding close enough to the bulb housing screws that I thought it was one.

About the auricon. Some of the eBay ones have a bunch of electronics that seem to be external audio gear or something.
    Exactly what is needed for the optical recording? Besides the camera, how much gear will need lugging around?
    Watching several on eBay that seem to be failing to sell, so exactly what would be a reasonable price for the camera?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011