What cheap AF Nikon to get?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Conor Dube, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a cheap (~$50) Nikon AF SLR, such as the N60, N80, N8008, etc. I'm looking for a recommendation of which one to buy, any help would be awesome! Cheers

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are your criteria? I have an N80 and it is a full featured SLR. Other than it being a bit light duty, I have no complaints. If you get one with data back, it's actually cheaper than non-data back ones. Weird....

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At $50, a decent F90x is in the cards (or a slightly more decent F90). The US equivalents are N90s and N90, respectively. Faster AF and motor drive than the F801/N8008 series.

4. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Really the only criteria I have are that it be relatively full-featured and be able to handle the normal rigors of daily use. I was just wondering if anyone has a reason for a certain preference.

5. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    N-75 is a good candidate for you. I use it for C-41 color film and the F-100 for black & white.

Steve

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have lenses with VR, N80 can utilize it but N8008 and N60cannot. Lens itself will still work. Just that VR won't work. N60 won't meter at all with AI or AI-s lens.

Since I own one, I'm biased but N80 is a great light weight body. It does require two 123A batteries though. At your price range, wouldn't choice partly depend on availability?

8. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help! I think I'm leaning towards the N80, as it has all the features I'm looking for and they have it on Keh for about $50.

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look seriously at the AA-powered models: 8008s(801s) and N90s(F90x). The 8008s is dirt cheap now and preferable for its spot metering and nice big viewfinder. The N90s is still a remarkably sweet camera with decent AF speed, great viewfinder and superb flash metering capability. Paired with the MB-10 battery grip, it's a nice handling camera. Both have accurate electronic rangefinders that provide focus confirmation with MF lenses. They get dissed for being plasticky but their all metal chassis makes them tough enough. They sold well, so finding a good, clean example should be straightforward and affordable. I'd try for an N90s/F90x.

10. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my N90s I got @ keh for $35

11. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, for my price range I've narrowed it down to the N8008s or the N80. I know the 8008s has the advantage of AA batteries, are there any reasons that the N80 is a better camera?

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My reasons for preferring the F90/N90 family:

- as mentioned above, they use cheap, easy-to-get AA batteries
    - interchangeable focusing screens
    - fast autofocus with a wide sensor
    - fast motor advance (3.6 fps F90/N90, 4.3 fps F90x/N90s)
    - meter coupling with AI and newer manual focus lenses (you lose program mode and shutter priority, and matrix metering doesn't work, but that's livable). Many of the bodies suggested above do not meter at all with manual-focus lenses.
    - available inexpensive vertical grip with its own shutter release (works with the F90x/N90s only)
    - 1/250 flash sync speed and 1/8000 maximum shutter speed

These were semi-professional cameras and, for the price, are fantastic.

Jim

13. Coffeehound

Coffeehound Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with everything that Jim has said but wish to add:

N90s/F90x;N90/F90 will not do VR and should not be used with any "G" series lens.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My 2bits - N90s! Best bang for the buck

16. whlogan

whlogan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get a Nikon 8008s Bgn off Keh for about $30.... you won't go wrong
    Logan

17. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmm...the 90s is very tempting I'll have to see if I can swing the extra money (student!) hahah but thanks all for the advice.

18. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    N8008s. 30 bucks; maybe

19. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a $25.00 KEH bgn grade N90. Just put one roll through it so far but it seems a pretty nice body. It does everything I wanted this one for, focuses and takes a nice picture. Seems to have excellent metering, I tried to fool it but it won every time. Does a fantastic job with my SB-28, and its small enough to easily fit in a tank bag on my motorcycle. The last is why I got this body. It and a cheap zoom lens will live on my bike, pounding down dirt roads and exploring rocky mountain passes and trails....I expect to kill it eventually, the question is just how soon. For $25 bucks I figure what the hell....

20. jdsanika

jdsanika Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    N80 or N75 I have two of each and battery grips so I can use AA Batteries. Autofocus that will track a race car and great metering.

22. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for the N90s. Mine from KEH was $ 27.00 (BGN). Out preforms the N80 I have. I had a pair of them (80s) and one day my son walked off with one. I used them for weddings, I loved the lightness of them that was it.

The 90s is quite bit more of a real camera. It can take just about every Nikon lens on it and still function. Has the screw drive in the mound for older D style lenses that the N80 does not. So just about what ever I put on it I can meter, auto focus, or manual focus with a spot metering feature.

Considering they were $ 1000 to 1200 new they are a hell of a buy now and they take AA batteries without buying a grip like the N80, it takes 123 batteries unless you buy a grip. I did, had two until my son did a disappearing act on one rig.

Lee

23. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had an N80 for about six years, and it is easily my most used 35mm camera. It has virtually every function as the higher end Nikons... read a review here. Don't let the "lightweight" label fool you. It is a surprisingly robust camera, and with an MB-16 battery pack, it can take AA batteries. I got one for my daughter a year or so for $42. Pretty hard to beat.

Cheers,

24. Conor Dube

Conor Dube Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmm, N90s vs. N80:
    Pros of the N90s (as I see it):
    • AA w/o necessary grip
    • Compatible with more lenses
    • More heavy/sturdy (?)
    • Slightly newer AF
    • Frame rate (?)

Pros of the N80:
    • Lighter
    • Price
    • Cheap grip available

Anything I missed/am wrong about?

25. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    N80 is one of the last models Nikon made before making a corporate wide switch to digital. You are likely to find very lightly used bodies on the cheap. N90 do not work well with G lens (the ones that doesn't have aperture ring) and VR will not work at all. If you already have or intend to buy later lens, it may be a deal killer for you.

26. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, just use AF and AF-D lenses, then, once you've money, get an F100 or an F5. It's not like the D lenses are hard to find...

Get the N90s.

-J