What do I do with all of these camera?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Velander, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Velander

Velander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just inherited a camera collection and I have to figure out what to do with it. I'm living in an apartment and don't have room for 400+ cameras. I like photography (I currently have a Nikon D90) [Boo... Digital], but I would love to get back into analog photography using some of these cameras.

I'm thinking that I will put them in storage and take them out a few at a time, find out something about them and try and document them better, maybe try and take some pictures them, then decided what to do with it.

I have setup a web page so people can see the collection. You can see them at link to my website on my profile.

2. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    im only on page 8 - that is one heck of an inheritance....pardon the sharks circling but, do you intend to sell any?

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep them, sell them, or give them away. Of course, you don't have to do that with all of them. You could keep some and sell or give the rest.

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good grief! You have quite a haul there. I have no idea what you can sensibly do with a collection of "user" cameras that size---a lot of them seem to fill the same niches, like the seven different Yashica TLRs.

I didn't immediately see anything that made my eyes pop as an extraordinary rarity or anything, but a lot of them are in the "quite nice" to "professional" range, and they look like they're in great shape at least cosmetically. Congratulations!

-NT

5. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like the shot of the Canon Sure-Shot, under the Canon category of course, showing the accessories display in the background. Did you inherit a store?

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, I am always looking for donations of 35mm and medium format camera for our university art photography program (part of the Humboldt State University Art Department). I am the darkroom tech and I check out equipment for students to use for their assignments. I particularily need manual 35mm cameras such as the Canon AE-1, older Nikons, Pentax K1000s, etc. But the Canon series of Rebel cameras work for us also (but I prefer not to give the students the opportunity to put the camera on auto).

Every semester we have 4 to 5 classes (24 students each) using our darkroom (and one class in the digital lab). Many students have their own cameras, but many do not -- or try to use their parents' old cameras that have been sitting around for 20 years...which often seem to fail part way through the semester. And this semester I started out with 10 working 35mm cameras and I am down to 7 now.

I also check out 4x5 view cameras -- we have 3 wood field cameras and 5 rail view cameras. We just got a donation of a 5x7 camera, but need to get some holders.

We always need tripods, flash units and cable releases, too!

So...this is a shameless plug for our photography program. I will pay out of my own pocket for shipping!

Vaughn

7. Velander

Velander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The cameras are on display in his gun shop. The items on the wall in the back of the picture are gun clips and other accessories.

8. Velander

Velander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The cameras I have on the site are from images of his collection as of about a year ago. I need to update it with the rest of his collection. He was telling me about a recent addition that he said was the smallest twin-lens reflex camera ever made, but I can't remember the make.

9. Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice job on documenting the collection. Unless you want to open a museum, I'd say it makes sense to sell a few of them to fund the storage costs. That's a bit of a job in itself, but I'm also in Portland and could maybe help out. I'd love to see some of these cameras in person, too! I recently started shooting a Rolleiflex from 1960 (my birth year), and am fascinated by the precision of these things, in particular the German ones. Paul

10. Velander

Velander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm going to pick up a few this weekend and bring them back to town. The Mamiya RB67 setup looks like it would be fun to try out. I'm not even sure what format of film I will be able to find, or where to look for it.

11. Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll need 120 roll film.
    ProPhoto Supply @ 19th & Marshall is your best bet for a variety of color and B/W films.
    Also Citizen's Photo at SE Alder & 6th will have some, but ProPhoto still has the best selection.
    Pick up your Mamiyaflex when you're there too. It will be an interesting compare/contrast with the RB67! (Also 120 film)

12. KarnyDoc

KarnyDoc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One possible solution

I agree; that's quite the inheritance. I wish I were that lucky!

If you're so inclined, would you be willing to donate some of them? I listen to the Film Photography Podcast, a New Jersey-based podcast with worldwide reach, that promotes and discusses film photography. Michael Raso, the show's founder and host, offers film cameras through their online store and eBay to help defray the costs of producing the show. Cameras are also given away to listeners in periodic drawings. (Note: Michael will accept only working cameras for the eBay channel, online store, or giveaways. Additional details can be found at their donation page.)

You can contact Michael directly or the general podcast address.

Dieter Zakas
    Longtime fan of FPP

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  13. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Velander;

Look up the Tessina 35mm film TLR camera that uses special cassettes for its film. I think the image size was 17mm by 21mm. It was made by the Swiss watchmaker Concava up until about 1995 or 1996. It could go onto a wrist strap and there was even an accessory watch to go on top of it to justify having it on that part of your arm. Normally you just used the "waist level" type finder on the top of the camera, but there was also a pentaprism that could be fitted to the top. An intriguing, small, spring motor drive, expensive camera. I wanted one of them back in the 1960s, but things never did work out for getting one.

14. Velander

Velander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I didn't find a Tessina TLR camera in the collection, but I did find a GemFlex TLR that uses 17.5mm film. It came with a case but no wrist strap.

I brought the Mamiya RB67-ProS to the local camera store and purchased some film for it. They checked it out and it seems to be working fine. Just need to clean the dust out of it and it should be ready to go. It came with a Polaroid back so I bought some Fuji Polaroid B&W film to try it out. It came with a Minolta Auto Meter that I need to get a new battery for and learn how to use it first.