What do I have here??

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by FM2N, Sep 16, 2011.

1. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello All,
    Came with a group of camera equipment and not sure how to use it. Do I look through the smaller opening or the larger cone end?
    Does the finder have much worth? I am thinking of selling and not sure what to ask $$ for.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Arthur

Attached Files:

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know what it's called but I think it's an accessory rangefinder that goes on top of a camera that does not have its own built-in rangefinder.

You slip it into the cold shoe on top of the camera such that the numbers on the scale would be right side up from the photographer's perspective. You look through and adjust until the device shows that the image is in focus then you read the number off the scale and set the lens to that distance.

I've got similar devices somewhere in the boxes full of camera stuff I inherited from my father-in-law but they aren't exactly the same so I can't be sure. I'm only guessing from experience with the stuff I've got here.

4. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the help.

5. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An adjustable viewfinder, not a rangefinder!

The engraved numeral are the lens focal lengths (in cm) which can be set.

6. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That makes sense. I have a couple of devices that are similar but I haven't been able to find out much about them. I don't know if they match to a specific camera in the collection so I can only speculate on what their exact function is and how to operate them.

The next time I play with my toys I'll get them out and take a closer look at them.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Bruce. For value, check completed ebay auctions for Leica VIDOM. Condition is important in collectable items. Therefore, prices vary widely. What appears to be good condition to many of us is a dog to some collectors. Also, these old VIDOMs sometimes have functional problems. An ad should describe any flaws. If you can't thoroughly check out the item, say so. Include plenty of quality photos.

8. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep it and use it as an excuse to get a Leica body and some lenses. I mean what good is it without the rest of the system. At least that is what you can tell you spouse.

9. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    True. It was part of a FED 2 collection on eBay. Weird to find with a russian camera. Considering I got the camera body, a newer Jupiter-8, 12 and 11 as well as a collapsable 50mm and and one other 50mm all for under $50 I am in no rush to get rid of it.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Arthur

10. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sound strategy for any married guy to adhere to: innocent and devious at the same time.:cool:

11. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, FM2N;

While it may look like a "VIDOM" multi focal length viewinder, if it does not also say "Leica" and/or "Leitz" engraved on it, it is probably a Russian copy of the "VIDOM." You did say that it was in a kit with a FED-2 and some Jupiter lenses. I do suggest that there is a high probability that it is a Russian copy of the Ernst Leitz product. However, that does not mean that it is not a useable device. I have one of those here also that can go onto my Zorki-4 and Zorki-4K. It does come in handy at times.