What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm a 4x5 shooter. It's safe to say I know NOTHING about 5x7, but I did come upon a deal. Figured if the camera was junk the lenses might be of value to toss on my 4x5.

The Camera is a Speed Graphic 5x7, in good shape also has a flash that takes the bayonet style flash bulbs. Can't find too much info on the camera. The lenses are old, all barrel type except for the Schneider which is the only one that has a shutter and would work on my Monorail, the other 3 need to live on my Speed Graphic.

Here is everything...
    photo 1.JPG

Camera....
    photo 4.JPG

Zeiss-Convertible-Anastigmat...
    photo 1 copy.JPG

Graflex 15" tele-Optar ƒ/5.6
    photo 5.JPG

Schneider Symmat 180mm ƒ/5.6
    photo 2 copy.JPG

Kodak Aero Ektar 7" ƒ/2.5
    photo 3 copy.JPG

Trunk full of flashbulbs (this is about half of them) Plus some chemicals for making developer, etc...
    photo 3 copy 2.JPG

Not sown are some 5x7 film holders, a 5x7 contact printer that had no name plate and needs a bunch of work and rewring. a few 4x5 film holders and misc filters, hoods, and other weird things.

I paid $300 for everything, figured If I got a few good lenses out of the deal it would be worth it.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what I have here? Anything of value (shooting wise, not monetary value) Anything I should not even bother with? Any background on the lenses? The 3 barrel lenses I've never seen before.

Thanks

2. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Since the aero Ektar alone is worth more than $300, you got a deal.

3. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    5x7 film holders in any sort of shape still get some money, but photoguy is right about the Aero-Ektar-- I have been trying to get one off eBay for some time. SWEEEEET

4. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whats so good about the Aero Ektar? Seems people like it, but why?

5. mark

mark Member

I would say you scored.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A fad, like cilantro and now spinach in everything.

7. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do some searching, it's a well regarded lens. (Aero ektar). Definitely scored on this haul, no doubt! 5x7 speeds are fairly uncommon I'd say, too.

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. SpeedGraphicMan

SpeedGraphicMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Aero ektar 7" is a very good lens but will only cover 4x5.
    The Graflex 15" Tele-Optar ƒ/5.6 is also an extremely well lens but also will only cover 4x5.
    I personally own a 15" Tele-Optar and use it often. (I would equate it to a 135mm lens on a 35mm camera as far a focal length goes).

The 5x7 Speed surprises me... I have never seen a 5x7? It must be pre-1930's

You got one heck of a good deal!!!

10. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Speed Graphic should have a serial number stamped on the inside of the top of the camera. It should be five or six digits. Some folks have a way of determining the year of manufacture based on the serial number.

11. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It does have a serial number, do you know who I can contact to find out more information? Any info on the speed graphic 5x7's are scarce online, even at graflex.org.

The 15" lens might be a great portrait lens for me as long as I can get enough bellows draw from my Horseman

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the 5x7 isn't to rare, they are nice ...
    a friend has one , he loves it !

make sure store it with the FP shutter on 0
    otherwise you will mess with the spring ...

have fun !
    john

13. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Seriously?

14. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lenses don't go on that camera. They go with a pacemaker (post WWII) speed graphic. The 5x7 would most likely use wooden lensboards. (which you can make yourself if you wish to use it) Looks like a decent haul. The speed graphic is probably 1930's or earlier. You'd have to compare it with photos of others online. I have a 4x5 speed of similar vintage that's late 20's early 30's.

15. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  16. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    According to Richard Paine's A Review of Graflex, the 5x7 Speed Graphic was produced up to 1941 with little of the updating found in the Anniversary model. If the tubular finder is original, your camera was made in 1939 or later.

17. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I knew it looked familiar! Mine is a 3-cell handle. Seems as though this and my Heiland handle were both used and modified as lightsabres for the Star Wars movie. If not for the fact that I absolutely love these 2 flashes and I'm sitting on over 300 flashbulbs I might have just sold it on the big bay.

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seriously. It covers 4x5 with no room for movements, it's horrendously heavy, it isn't the sharpest lens, and it's difficult and very expensive to put in a shutter.
    The only reason to use one is for the very shallow DOF afforded by the wide aperture.

19. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not original. I found the original flip-up gunner style finder in one of the parts boxes, the holes in the body lined up perfectly. I took off the tubular finder about an hour ago.

20. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not entirely true. I haven't measured precisely, but I can get some rise out of mine, as well as a modicum of tilt, swing and shift. I get dark corners when I tilt it back as far as the Speed Graphic's front standard will allow, but movements are indeed possible, especially at portrait focusing distances.

I will concede that, when used wide open, the movements are commonly used to augment the lens's quirks and to exploit its shallow DoF rather than correct for perspective in the traditional manner.

Jonathan