What do I need to Process B&W Film.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Morgan ~ MOD54, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Morgan ~ MOD54

Morgan ~ MOD54 Partner Partner

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I made this a while ago, but might be useful to anyone wanting to get back into processing film. The basic kit needed.

[video=youtube_share;W3n3MdmoezM]http://youtu.be/W3n3MdmoezM[/video]

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Morgan, great film, but can I suggest a different method on a few things you mention. First of all never ever use a squeegee (ever). Also you don't need a bottle opener or cassette opener, because if you listen and feel when you rewind the film, you can stop to leave a bit of film out of the cassette. You can then cut the leader to load about 6" of film that you wasted when loading the camera and load this on the spiral in daylight. Also colour coding the chemicals helps in identification.

3. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a friend asking me just today how she could get set up to process film at home. And here's this video.

Thanks, Morgan — i've just emailed her a link to your video.

Everybody finds his/her way but this is an excellent starter.

4. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there any particular reason to not use a squeegee? I've been using one as opposed to my 2 fingers method and so far it's much better and less smelly fingers on my hand. :laugh::laugh:

5. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh geez, not the squeegee fight again!

Look, most films now (anything from Kodak, Fuji or Ilford) are very well-hardened and can be squeegeed fearlessly unless there's grit present. Some of the other brands (Foma in particular) run a real risk of getting scratched by squeegeeing. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just means the risks are higher and you must be gentler.

And whether a squeegee is beneficial or not to your film drying with/without spots, that all depends on your water hardness and how much photoflo you put in the final rinse. Some combinations work better with a squeegee, some work better without. Everyone of course thinks that what they do is best and that all other approaches are wrong.

More getting-started-with-B&W instructions in my FAQ linked below...

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the video.

Jeff

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This only applies on cameras without motorized film rewind.

8. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup.

9. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No it doesn't, because in that case you can use a leader extractor. Ref sqeegee, have seen to many films with tram lines down the whole length from grit on the rubber.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or for those that provide for the option, set the motorized rewind to leave the leader extended after rewind.

Just be sure to carefully mark or segregate the exposed film, so you don't re-expose it by mistake :whistling:

11. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people squeegee and some don't. Fine. But if one is trying to teach a beginner how to get good results with the least number of potential complications/problems, I have to question the recommendation to squeegee or wipe the wet film in any way. Proper use of a wetting agent substantially reduces drying spots. Using distilled water with a wetting agent eliminates drying spots. If either of those methods are used, a squeegee adds no value and only introduces more risk. One should generally not assume incremental risk when there is no potential reward.