what do you carry with you every day?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by frank, Jan 29, 2003.

1. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A previous post called 'missed opportunities' started on the topic of what photo kit to carry with you every day but then changed to a photo blunders thread - and a very interesting read. I'd like to reintroduce the topic of what you guys carry around every day so you won't miss that unexpected photo opp.

Small and simple is good. I also prefer mechanical and manual, but that's just me. I seem to be stuck in the 40's to 70's when it comes to cameras that I find interesting. I always want to be carrying some kind of camera. Also good is something picked up cheap so losing it or damaging it won't hurt too much. Whenever I get a new used camera, it is the one I lug around for a while until I get used to it and the novelty wears off. When I got my Speed Graphic a few weeks ago, it came with me for a few days. After that experience, carrying a Rollei TLR did not seem to be that cumbersome anymore. Sometimes I'll switch cameras on a day where I decide I'm 'feeling MF' and not 35mm. I may have a regular travelling camera for a while, or I may switch as the mood strikes me. Here's a list of cameras that I've taken back and forth to my regular job, or have with me in the car on weekends while doing errands:

Rollei 35TE, Kodak Rettina 2a, Agfa Karat, Canon QL3G, Konica S2, Nikon 601 with 50mm or 28-70mm, Pentax ME with 45mm pancake lens, Bessa 1, Perkeo 2, Nikonos 3. Most of these I bought at camera swap meets or garage sales for less than $100

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The usual everyday camera is the Voigtlander Perkeo II, but occasionally I might use anything 4x5" or smaller.

One nice option that I use sometimes is a Canon EF set for MLU with a pinhole lenscap, fast film, and a Voigtlander Kontur finder for framing.

3. David Hall

David Hall Member

I am arranged by "kits":

35mm kit is camera with lens on it, two other lenses, and three rolls of film. It's packed and usually in the car or brief case.

4x5 kit is a monorail in a domke bag with six holders and three lenses, loupe, meter, and darkcloth. Always packed and film is always loaded in the holders.

8x10 kit is a wooden field camera, two lenses, loupe, meter, and darkcloth. 6 holders, always loaded.

It was really pretty easier assembling all of these, and not that expensive except for buying two meters (which I did over 12 years, not at once) and the camera bags.

I did this because I lost count of the times I went on a trip and realized I had unloaded holders, or a polaroid back and a box of sheet film (not readyloads), or no meter, or no darkcloth.

dgh

4. Mark in SD

Mark in SD Member

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Jan 29 2003, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> 35mm kit is camera with lens on it, two other lenses, and three rolls of film. It's packed and usually in the car or brief case.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Which lenses? This is what I've been debating. A Long zoom and a couple of shorter Primes? Any filters thrown in for good measure?

5. David Hall

David Hall Member

35mm:

35mm, 90mm, 135mm. I actually use the 35mm about 80% of the time, the 90mm about 15% of the time, and the 135mm about never.

4x5:
    110, 150, 240

8x10
    240, 360

6. David Hall

David Hall Member

Oh, filters,

Yes. Yellow all the way around. I also have deep orange and red lee filters for the 4x5 and 8x10, but then realized one day that I am not Ansel Adams reincarnated, so I don't ever really use those. I use the yellows quite a bit.

When I was doing color, until about five years ago, I always carried and often used a polarizer.

dgh

7. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't carry a camera everyday/everywhere but have recently been taking one with me while the family have been out riding our new bikes (Chrissy presents!) I take a Yashica ME-1 which is a zone focus compact with 38/2.8 lens loaded with Tri-X and a spare roll. The other day I took a couple of rolls, all while at least sitting on my bike, most while riding and am going to pick the better ones (lots of duds!) and create a story of sorts. I'll post the URL when it's ready for you to have a laugh! I did the same thing from the car also... the bike makes for a better tripod!

8. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

9. David Hall

David Hall Member

Aggie,

Unless you either have lots of memory sticks or no aspirations beyond simple 5x7 prints, it seems like carrying a digital camera would be even more frustrating, because what if you saw the coolest thing ever but couldn't have any image other than a lowish rez digital image forever? At least with film of whatever size or speed, you always have more options and it's always archivable digitally in addition to the film itself. Right?

dgh

10. cophotonut

cophotonut Member

There are lots of options besides having lots of memory sticks. I have a mindstore that holds 20gb of photos. I went to the olympics and took a over a thousand uncompressed pictures with a 5mp camera.

11. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

12. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to have a Voigtlander Vito I. But that died. Now I don't have an "everyday" camera. But I need to get one. Maybe a Minox 35 or something like that.

My daily users are my F80, my FT2 and my ETRsi. Depends on where I am going. If I am heading out on a hike, the FT2 comes along for sheer durability and unbreakableness. For street I like the F80 or the ETRsi. IDEALLY I like to take the ETRsi whenever I can since I get so much more real estate out of it.

13. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's the attraction of the Perkeo--6x6 in a package smaller than most 35mm rangefinders. I've seen pictures of a late version that actually includes a coupled rangefinder, but I haven't seen an actual example for sale.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I mentioned my fanny pack mini system in the 'missed opportunities' thread but I also like to grab my old Nikon F Photomic with a 35 to 105 zoom. It ain't small or light but it can be tossed over a shoulder, is pretty versatile in case I run across something unexpected and is just a totally stylin' rig. [​IMG]

16. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My biggest gripe is that all the shots I can envision seem to need more than the usual XXmm lenses that you get on most compact cameras. [​IMG]

17. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

The rule is that no matter what equipment you bring with you, you are certain to run across the perfect, once-in-a-lifetime shot for the single piece that you left in drawer at home.

You'll find it listed as "Flotsam's Law" in the Focal Encyclopedia.

18. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't bring a camera with me on an everyday basis, as it is frowned upon for security (and safety) reasons where I work.

But when I do bring a camera, it's likely to be a Perkeo II, or a Zeiss Ikon, or a Zenobia. Medium format folders all...

19. chrisl

chrisl Member

David,

What's the lens like on that Perkeo? Never heard of one till today. Looks interesting and affordable MF camera.

I bought a Contax T3 for Xmas which has the sharpest lens I've ever had personally. Very pocketable and great for travel.

Chris

David, did you get my email request for the traveling portfolio?

20. fparnold

fparnold Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The basic these days is either a d* (for family events, etc) or the Nikon F with 35mm or 24mm lens (if I think it's going to be reasonably scenic), based upon compactness considerations. I keep a Kodak Tourist II with Tri-X in the desk at work. I love the F, but pocketable it's not, and if you add lenses your pockets start to get kind of bulky.

I suppose I could put a flash-bracket on my B&J 5x7, and keep it around the office instead of the tourist, but I haven't seen much at work recently that needed that big a negative.

21. JDG

JDG Member

Ricoh Gr1v - because its small and light and I'm very lazy....and its got a great 28mm lens.

22. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chrisl: I don't think I got your email request. Did I email you back? If not, send your info to brian@apug.org, and we can take it from there.

The Perkeo II came with a Color-Skopar lens--a coated Tessar type. Nice basic lens. It's as sharp as anything stopped down and is usable wide open. There are also some with the three-element Vaskar, which isn't as good, but is usually less expensive.

23. chrisl

chrisl Member

Thanks for that information David. The camera definetly has a certain "cool" factor!

24. Sherman

Sherman Member

Like David I'm sort of a "kit" person. My "main" system is a 4x5 field camera. I use it for landscape, nature and some architectural photography. My secondary system is MF (6x6). I use it for close-up, nature and landscapes. My third system is 35mm and it is used primarily for macro work though I have a range of lenses and do occasionally use it for nature and landscapes also. In addition I have a Moscow 5 folder, recently acquired, that has become my "take everywhere" camera.

The 4x5 pack has the camera, 3 lenses, 5 film holders, Polaroid holder, a box of Readyloads, darkcloth, meter, loupe, several filters, spanner and misc. supplies (lens cloth, cable release, notebook, pencil, etc.) All up it weighs about 40-45 pounds.

The 2/14 pack has the camera 4 lenses, 1.4x teleconverter, 2 backs, prism finder, waist level finder, a few filters, flash and accessories (cable release, notebook, pencil, lens cloth, plastic covers in case of rain). This one also weighs in at over 40 pounds.

I use the same tripod (Bogen 3021 with 3030 head) for both systems.

The 35mm bag has 2 bodies, 4 lenses, several filters, flash and accessories (cable release, lens cloth, notebook, pencil). This one only weighs about 12 pounds!

Depending upon my intended subject for the day I pick the system that best fits. If I don't have a particular subject in mind I'm likely to take the MF gear.

Horses for courses I guess.

Sherman

25. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There's a discussion under MF called "folders, folders, folders" and so on. Lots of odes to old folders, for those who want more.[​IMG]

26. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Jan 30 2003, 10:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>simply said, I LOVE MY MAMIYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

son can have the damn digital</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I am not sure which mamiya Aggie loves, but the mamiya i love and am seldom without is the mamiya 6 with a 50mm lens attached (i do carry the 75 and 150 but don't use them much). I would love to work as freely with my 4x5 and wish that a 6x9 was available that was as manageable, but I guess it is a good trade off a though aspect ratio coupled with a beautifully usable camera.
    <center>[​IMG]
    Shot with the 150mm whilst waiting for the brighton train at hayward heath station</center>