What do you do with all your old film canisters? etc?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Dikaiosune01, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Dikaiosune01

Dikaiosune01 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    135 film cans
    125 backing paper? reels?
    etc?

Has anyone found any special use for them?

2. Ron G

Ron G Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use them to store my film.I label them and file them away.Ron G

3. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I save them for reloading or recycle them as I have too many already.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the re-loadable ones. When the felt comes off I toss them in the trash.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use my 35mm canisters for pot!:whistling:

Jeff

6. JimO

JimO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    maybe i should go back to 35mm shooting???!!!:cool:

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep my stash in them. Also the Tessina 35mm film cartridges and coins but not at the same time.

8. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My kids use the 35mm ones to play with. They use them as "garbage cans" in their Lego villages. Every roll of film that gets opened is greeted with cheers by them...he...he...I love this age!

When they eventually become tired of all the 'garbage cans' I plan to recycled them.

9. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 Hahaha... :w00t:

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I name them and keep them as pets.

11. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The black 135 cans are used for bulk-loading. The clear ones I use nuts, washers and other small things in my tool boxes and bags.

Mike

12. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The black 135 cans are used for bulk-loading. The clear ones I use nuts, washers and other small things in my tool boxes and bags.

Mike

13. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I keep them in a plastic bag, with their canisters. They might be useful "one day". If I like Rollei 200 CN for instance (or CR 200) I will certainly begin rolling my own, and the used cartridges might be useful. And when I begin B&W work I will certainly roll my own. I don't do this only with cartridges. There's plenty of stuff that I keep "just in case". I'm very good at finding future hypothetical use of any kind of stuff. Luckily I'm going to sell my house and move into a bigger one :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I for the clear ones, used them when I was still keeping and growing local tarantulas and scorpions, for the black ones those were where I placed large Super Worms so they can metamorphose into an adult beetle. They fit perfectly there and the temp and humidity they get is just perfect (has 1 or 2 pinholes for air). They also are perfect as a drinking "bowl" for tropical snakes (mostly vipers). :smile:

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Iffen ya gottem, smokem!

17. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    With a little internal trimming, the caps from black Kodak cans make servicable lens caps for many of the lenses on Speed Graphics and other older cameras. Years ago I've had to beg the cans from film processers when respooling 35mm film for major photo trips. One can develop a short piece of test film in one. For non-critical work they make inexpensive and convenient pinhole cameras. They work for housing minature electronic devices.

18. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I drilled flat-bottom holes about 3/4 inch deep into some left-over 5/4 pine and fastened it on the inside of a workshop closet door. Perfect for cataloging small hardware items.

('scuse the alternate technology)

Attached Files:

19. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use them to store spare change for baggage trolleys, when I fly domestically in AU - a total rip-off IMHO, but better than being stranded with $50 note and unable to cash it anywhere!

And I have a couple which are full of water and kept frozen - I've used to bring the temp down on my film developer, when I've accidentally heated it a little too high :whistling:

My dad uses some for storing bits in the shed - although not as well laid out as yours DW! And my mum uses for storing buttons and small stuff - the rest I recycle.

I've always got 4 or 5 hanging around "just in case".

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a large box for our students to toss them in. With 125 students per semester we get quite a few.

I mix together Ammonium dichromate and acetone in them for use of spirit sensitizing carbon tissue. The nice tight caps allow me to mix up enough for several carbon tissues without the acetone evaporating away. And I use them to premix my pigment before adding it to the melted gelatin and sugar when making the carbon "glop". I just shake them up!

Handy things. Painting and lithography students raid our stash for use of their ink or paint. Or so they tell me...:whistling:

21. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use them to store spare change for vending machines, washing macines, and pretty much anything that takes coins. Otherwise, I recycle them.

22. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've got bent, broken, squashed, dinged cansiters all over my darkroom floor. They are all wrapped up in discarded black and white backing paper. I suppose I should clean them up one day. I will recycle them when I do.
    I don't need to store pot because I smoke it all in one go :smile:

23. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the same, but most of them just go into a box because I am certain there will be a use for them some day...but the box keeps getting bigger...

24. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These things do multiply don't they? The uses are as many as your imagination. Paper backing gets tossed but the spools live in a box marked "spools".:wink:

25. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I store my fishing flies in the clear cans, the black canisters go into a box in the DR for future use when I roll film. I reroll the paper backing and use it to teach newbies how to load a 120 camera, I've even sent them out to people on accasion who request them for testing cameras.

26. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never thought of that use for 35mm cans.

I keep a couple them in the cases with my underwater cameras for batteries and all the water proof caps that I have to take on and off the cameras when I dive them.

I keep a few on a shelf over the computer for just in case, my wife uses some to keep crafting supplies in, and I have donated some to her that she has passed to her digital crafting friends. All the rest on my 35mm cans go into the recycle bin along with the 120 spools, cardboard film boxes and the plastic boxes that slides come back in. Backing paper goes in the trash along with Polaroid tear offs.

I really hope there is no one out there using these things to make Geocaches, the last thing the Geocaching world needs is more 35mm caches.