What do you do with slides?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by RattyMouse, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back from the lab a roll of Provia 100F. I am continually amazed at the level of color in this film, although the skin tones sometimes seem too saturated. Still, it is a very impressive film and can be viewed by eye a bit as I am shooting 6 x 4.5. The slides are so impressive that I am tempted to shoot an even larger format, possibly 6 x 7. But I'm wondering how most people use slides that they make. Projecting is not very common is it? Are slides enjoyable just looking on a light table? Do you also use a loupe? Do you find (insert the word that dare not be used here)-ing them to be satisfactory?

I am tempted to shoot more Provia film, but at the end of the day, it seems that I am confused at how best to use them. The computer screen perhaps is not my answer even though that is the easiest.

Sorry for rambling on.....

2. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hate seeing slides go by the wayside. But when I think about it, with no more Kodachrome, the purpose of color is gone. Kodachrome never faded. All the E4 and E6, all the C22 and C41 just all fades away. Black and White doesn't, so all we really have anymore is BW, practically speaking. Otherwise, a 35mm and Kodachrome is the best answer for color. I hate the computer.

3. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Huh. I have C-41 negatives from the 80's that are fine, and some negatives my dad made in the 60's which are fine too. No evidence of fading yet. Lots of cheapo prints have faded or gotten weird colors but using a good lab, as I tried to do when I could afford it, seems to be paying off in negative longevity. I know 30 years isn't Kodachrome time and I know everything will fade eventually. So far so good. My eldest E6 slides also 30 years old are in good shape too.

4. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^^ I always thought slides in general (be it Kodachrome, Velvia, Provia, or E100VS) were meant to outlast colour negative (which should have a long-ish shelf life itself).

5. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All my Ektachrome from the 70's back are all dark and blue.

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone want to discuss my questions?

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I project some, and scan some, and print from scan some.

And I've yet to take up the offer of a couple of friends of mine to share in their large stash of Ilfiochrome materials, to print some.

Properly processed and stored modern Ektachrome is likely to last well for a long time. Properly processed slightly older Ektachrome will last fairly well.

8. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Fine, I'll say it... You scan them!! That's pretty much what anyone still shooting color E-6 or C-41 does anymore.

9. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    ^ Problem with scanning these 120 transparencies is that it takes a great scanner, like the Nikon Coolscan 8000 or 9000 to get the information out of them. Otherwise if you don't mind sending them out and paying a drum scan is the ultimate.

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    RattyMouse,

35mm slides you project because you can get a projector easily.

But medium format you get published in a book or magazine printed by Offset Lithography.

Let the publisher worry about all the production technique.

Shoot lots of vertical compositions. Publishers need that for their pages.

Include out-of-focus or dropout backgrounds which leave room for the magazine's logo and headlines.

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    if you like the 6x4.5 color slides...you should have a look at a 4x5! I just lay 'em on the light table and enjoy. Sometimes, I'll tape one to a window.

12. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If slides are your medium of choice then get a good projector. In my opinion you would be making the most of them; projected slides can be awesome, superior to scanning and viewing on a monitor. Larger formats would be more so. Just because it's not common doesn't mean you can't do it.

13. MichaelT72

MichaelT72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few variables to consider as to processing, storage, etc. I recently looked at my E4 slides I processed in college 1975. I don't see any fading in them...look as good as ever. And they were my first attempt with E4. Wished I would have shot more. I'm trying to shoot more these days 135 as well as 120. I use a Kodak pocket viewer for the 135 at first and then maybe once a year set up the projector ...might be awhile until I can project the 120...if ever. I have scanned and printed very few.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What kind of slide projector does medium format? Do they still make them or do you have to go garage sailing to find one.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a new one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Rollei&ci=1495&N=4292349717+4230452413+4291255978

I paid $200-$300 for a used, older Rollei projector from a camera store 3 years ago (I think).

They show up sometimes on Craigslist.

EDIT: here is one on eBay from Hong Kong: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kindermann-Diafocus-66-T-medium-format-slide-projector-/250818417631?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item3a65f153df

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  17. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Prints. Perhaps some very big ones. For others and yourself. Not too many, of course. Display them. Ahh...

18. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A $2600 slide projector is NOT going to happen. I will give up shooting E6 if that is the price one has to pay.

19. photo_griz

photo_griz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, this is APUG.....however,

I scan my MF transparencies on an Epson Perfection v500 that I got on sale for $150 at Staples. I scan at 2400 dpi and have printed these files at 20x24 and they look incredible. I've had people walk into the room where these prints are hanging and they give them rave reviews. I've seen work (by much better photographers than me) in galleries that looks like you could walk into the photograph; shot on 6x17 Provia and Velvia. These are printed 24x72 and bigger. 4x5 and 8x10 slide film looks fantastic when printed 40x50 and bigger. I currently have some slides sent out for drum scanning at 4000 dpi, which is the limit of slides if excellent technique and equipment is used, just to see how much better they are than the flatbed scanner I have.

For web and small prints (ie.. I did a family calendar of Lake Tahoe images) I scan at 1200 dpi strait to JPEG and import to iPhoto.

My first 4x5 slides are sitting on a light table so I can stare at them... they are amazing to look at, and I'm a schmo.

Anyway, thats what I do with slides.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't have to pay that much.

If you do pay that much, it is because:
    1) you can afford to; and
    2) it is easy and convenient to buy new; and (maybe)
    3) your needs are such that new, under warranty equipment makes economic sense.

For a current comparable, I would ask you to compare what would you pay for a medium quality digital projector - how about this one? :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851009-REG/Canon_5748B002_REALiS_WUX5000_LCoS_Projector.html

21. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much for your reply. What you do sounds very compatible with my goals and abilities. How do you print your (word that cannot be uttered here) *ns?

22. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In theory you project them. 6x6 projectors for which you can get 645 slide mounts are readily available (look for a Rollei on eBay, expect to pay a couple hundred) but if you go to 6x7 that is not the case, as I found out to my chagrin on seeing the price of the Goetschmann.

I actually scan my slides so that everyone can see them (90% of my audience is via the internet), but I still want to build a projector someday. In the mean time, I've largely moved to C41 so that I can wet-print. Actually I have a triptych on my kitchen wall that's from scanned slides: three vertical panels of 20x40" inkjet/canvas. The scans from 6x7 give as much resolution as a metre of canvas can hold.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    :surprised:ff topic & DPUG illegal talk here:

Do you find the v500 at 2400 to have visible interpolation? I have the v750 and find anything over 2400 to appear as if there's interpolation happening, and isn't mine supposed to give a higher scan?

Just wondering if I should up my scan to 3200 or 4800

Do you find scanning slides vs neg color vs B&W you can adjust the dpi or stick with 2400 for all of it?

Also Ratty I scan mine, don't own a projector, I want a 6x7 projector and a 35mm but they are hard to come by.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What scanner may I ask?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

25. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I scan, but I've also owned a Diapod (http://www.diapod.com/) at one point, which is a tiny little 35mm slide projector. It was OK, but a dedicated slide projector and screen is going to be a great deal better.

I've thought for a while now that a well put together slide show, despite the mocking it may get, might be a much nicer way to show photos than the "huddle round the iPad" situation many people have.

26. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree that most folks shoot slides these days to scan.

I've been shooting dr5 reverse processed b+w slides on a long-term project I aim to show as a book, all from either 6x7 or 6x17 medium format slides. Slides scan beautifully, with oodles of detail and have a particular 'look' I love.

And I also scan to create enlarged negs / pos for alternative processes such as photogravure.