What do you rate the new Portra 160 4x5?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Xander Fischer, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Xander Fischer

Xander Fischer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not so "new" anymore, but I'm talking about the only kind kodak currently makes (the latest version that they started making after discontinuing the NC/VC films).

While I intend on doing my own tests, I'm curious to hear what your tests with Portra 160 4x5 have shown the film's native ISO to be. Also, if you'd care to share your test technique/scene you chose to conduct the test on, I would be very interested.

With 35mm Portra 160, I usually rate it at ISO 50, or even slower if the contrast of the scene is low. I am often shooting naturally lit interiors with a substantial contrast range. I have gotten a few 4x5 shots developed, and from what I've seen, the 4x5 Portra has just as much if not more highlight range than 35mm Portra. I have access to a color darkroom at my school, as well as Imacon scanners, so I have plenty of good printing tools to test with.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Box speed works very well. There is plenty of latitude to work with when the box speed is used.

3. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    'What do you rate the new Portra 160?'

10/10!

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I get good results at box speed too. But if I don't need the speed I think I get better results at 100. But I haven't taken the time to do any formal testing.