What do you think of these colors? Kodak Porta 160, Tetenal C41 kit

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by nbagno, Apr 22, 2013.

1. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This is about my 5th or 6th roll of color... Seems to be a purple cast in the hair. Overall, how do the colors "look" to you?

8670215541_46a5e89022_b.jpg

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like the verticals are listing towards port, however the color looks good. The purple cast could be from the scanner or the enlarger.

3. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks :smile: Yes, leaning towards port was intentional. Ok, actually the real reason it's leaning is I was rushed and being not totally competent with my Bronica waist level finder.. You know that left being right and right being left thing. Either that or he was leaning and I was trying to make him vertical. Either way I have an excuse ready to go...

Thanks,
    Ned

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks to me like the subject is being illuminated by multiple light sources, and some of the light from above is a bit blue.

Nothing particularly unusual about that.

If the scan/colour filter setting is adjusted to balance for that light source, the rest will go a bit yellow.

Something like the attached:

Attached Files:

5. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Looking at the image, do you see a color problem that says "hey, your blind look at that (insert problem here)... I only see my boy and how cute he is and stuff like that. :D

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the benefits of having done lots of colour printing is that I see colour casts even when they are slight.

One of the curses of having done lots of colour printing is that I see colour casts even when they are slight.

But cute kids - we can all appreciate them!

I think though that most will prefer a warm colour balance to a cool colour balance when people photographs are involved.

By the way, I wouldn't refer to your original photograph as having a colour problem. It is just dealing with lots of differently coloured light, which required the printer (machine or human) to make some choices.

The film recorded almost everything. The printer emphasized the blue more than the rest.

7. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true. I shoot weddings and engagement sessions and I would rather have the colors be slightly warmer even if they are not "correct." Your photo looks good to me. :smile:

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I first looked at the photo I thought it was slightly cool, when I placed in next to Matt's attachment it looked very cool. Often when printing in colour I find the 'correct' balance can be found by comparing two extremes with each other. I don't mean two photos with heavy casts, rather, a cooler and a warmer version.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting Portra for portraits for many years and the the colour balance and skin tone on this shot are about par for the course.

10. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. This is why I don't do color unless completely in control of the lighting. In other words, outdoors I only shoot black and white. :D

11. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I could get away with shooting all black and white outdoors. That's not a luxury I get as a portrait photographer.

12. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks

13. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for your input.

14. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Judging from his undershirt, the color balance on the original image is pretty darned close to dead on. The purple in his hair looks a lot like the purple wall paint just beside him, so I'd chalk it up as a color cast reflection from something else in the scene. And in five years he'll really like that photo because he'll be able to say he was a rebel even as a pre-teen and had purple hair!

15. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like it! the tonality is smooth. I'd like to see an optical print of it.