What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by rjas, Sep 22, 2007.

1. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So far 33 Italian troops have died in Iraq.

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    More like oozing from under the lowest level of greed, exploitation, insensitivety, etc.

This ones gonna cause a crater when it bottoms out in the Soap Box...

Murray

4. Videbaek

Videbaek Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just degenerate fashion advertising piffle working overtime to get noticed. Funny how the Italians produce a lot of it -- Benetton par excellence.

5. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, that argument isn't valid. I should have done a search before i reposted that quote. thanks.

6. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    On an optimistic day, I would hope this could be a level headed discussion about the 'ethics' or 'philosophy' regarding these photographs...but this just aint one of those days. I can only see this spiraling downward in an escalating series of politically/religiously based jabs and counter jabs...

C'mom APUG...prove me wrong :smile:

Murray

7. haris

haris Guest

So, we have on photographs soldiers, potential future corps and women who are turned on with possibility of having sex with potential future corps. Nothing new, old story about atrractivness of combination of Eros and Tanatos, this time used to sell fashion products.

My opinion on that photo series is: And?

8. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's just plain stupid. I can't see anyone buying anything based on these ads. Then again, they're definitely not targeted at me!

9. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The men look pretty turned on, too. :wink:

10. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steven Meisel is actually an *American* photographer...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Meisel

I think this picture tells more about how *we* - as non-Italians - perceive the italians and the world around us, than about an Italian company and a probably not much successful advertisement campaign...

As I have been studying the Italian language for two years now, and listened to hundreds of hours of Italian radio podcasts since the beginning of this year, I can safely tell you that there is a lot more intellectual discussion going on there, than in many of the other hyper commercialized countries and media...:wink: even though I'm listening to RAI of all stations...:surprised:

11. jbj

jbj Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like an advertising campaign for vogue magazine. Ads are meant ultimately to sell. Looks like they've got our attention so I guess they're on their way to succeeding. I'm not sure what the controversy is about or what you are implying with bringing their ad campaign to our attention.

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One the one hand:

"Uh, I dun't no much about art, but I know what I like!"

And on the other hand:

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need."

13. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to process all his B&W film in NYC back in the late 80's early 90's. I didn't think much of him back then.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This reminds me of that great quote by Capa, something like: "The goal of every war photographer is to be put out of business."

This ad campaign takes photography in the completely opposite direction- it attempts to profit from war. And to make matters worse, that profit is not for some humanitarian initiative, it is simply for fashion.

Quite obviously, this photographer is baiting the Islamic media; he knows very well that this sort of imagery can have an incendiary anti-Western effect.

Can this possibly be ethical? Come on, it's not even worthy of a discussion of ethics.

Ethics notwithstanding, is this work new or innovative? Of course not. The fashion industry has been posing women like blow-up dolls for a long time, that's nothing new or creative. Implying that we just need to give the soldiers a little eye-candy to end a millennium of conflict, now that is just brilliant. Apparently we are supposed to think that if the troops have a little fashion orgy out in the desert, things will be better.

This photographer needs to put down his joint and get on a plane to Baghdad. Then, if he still has his head after a few months mingling with real people, then he will have earned the right to publish his new perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  16. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Its dumber than dirt, but on the other hand, its every soldier's dream.

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whatever one thinks of the content, the lighting is very impressive.

18. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With a brevity that oft eludes me, haris has summed up my viewpoint concisely.

Nice lighting, buff boys, underfed plasticky chicks--sounds like fashion photography to me! And oooh, all that sweat! Makes me wanna BUY something! Just not sure WHAT!

19. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As a woman I also would say, exactly what would I want to buy from this ad? I'm betting it isn't meant for my demographic.

20. Videbaek

Videbaek Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I apologize to Italy and Italians -- you produce no more degenerate fashion advertising piffle than anyone else, of course.

21. PepMiro

PepMiro Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I find that, technically, photographs are wonderful and well done!. On the other hand, it would be better that these soldiers made love with these models than with iraqui civilian women.

22. garri

garri Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, apart from the tatoo on the *rse its so not representative of my combat experience!! different war, maybe thats it. :smile:

Gari

23. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most posters here seem to automatically conclude that this has something to do with Iraq.

Why? There are soldiers in a lot of other places too, in case you've forgotten.

... except for the pigmentation, the tall starved women made me think "Somalia"... :tongue:

24. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think that the photostory was kind of interesting but also predictable.

Oh, and I don't think it had anything to do with Somalia.

It's a bit of the same old, same old.

The US is stuck in a stupid war - but exiting is now likely to lead to even more of a bloodbath than staying.

Predictably, the European leftists once again unfurl the anti-American banner - although they are unsure how effective they can be when Sarkozy refuses to join them in the demonization.

Meanwhile, the US Administration engineered a short-term public relations reprieve here; not the least helped by the anit-war MoveOn.org giving them the opening to do so with their anti-Petreus ad in the NY Times. No one here, right or left wing, will countenance a direct "assault" on the honor of the military. This ain't no 'Nam!

Meanwhile, the Iranian clown is about to arrive here in NYC for the UNGA meeting. He's having a media field day with his posturing about wanting to visit Ground Zero. All this even as the "West" prepares to remove his nuclear threat. Iran is now pincered b/w the US in Iraq and NATO in Afghanistan.

The Syrian bombing was a "trial run"; and don't doubt that the North Koreans let their own folk get blasted rather than signal to Iran that they've switched sides on this by pulling them out. One has to think that the Syrian's didn't read the tea leaves right by continuing their low-level program this long. They should have taken a lesson from Quadaffi in Libya. He knew to when to get out of the nuke game.

Meanwhile, Mussharaf in Pakistan is about to join the Northern Spotted Owl on the endangered species list. Keep an eye on India's response in case he starts lobbing cannon shells in Kashmir to convince everyone in Islamabad etc. to "rally round the flag".

What a friggin' mess all around.

Now, you were talking about Benneton's photostory? :rolleyes:

25. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ?!

26. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    copake, you are without a doubt one of the most nonsensical people Ive had the luxury of "reading" online.