What Do You Think of Your Minolta MC 58/1.4 Lens?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been working my two Minolta XG-Ms rather heavily lately, and am wondering what others think of the MC 58/1.4 lens? I bought this lens a few months ago, but have taken only a few shots with it. I welcome any comments.

Thanks...

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take more pictures and decide for yourself. IMHO it's a fine lens (most Rokkor glass is) but you have to decide if it works for you.

3. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't be afraid to shoot it wide open -- some of my best pictures of infant nieces and nephews were done that way.

Mike

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A wonderful lens! Use it for available light photography too.

Steve

5. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

The predesessor of your lens, the Minolta AUTO ROKKOR-PF f=58mm 1:1.4 lens was my first Minolta lens. I still like it. I do have the 58 mm f 1.2 also, but I use the 1.4 more often with its lighter weight. I also have the MC and other later variants. The ROKKOR glass is still good. The f 1.4 is enough to give you good light for focusing, and a very shallow depth of field when needed. Yes, the additional 1/2 stop of the f 1.2 does even more, but it also weighs more, and I have not found that much additional benefit. Perhaps my eyes will age more and that additional amount will become more significant.

The results on the prints have been very nice for my purposes, both from the f 1.4 and the f 1.2.

6. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    WONDERFUL lens. The reason I sold my Nikon gear a decade ago and went back to Minolta for manual focus cameras. The bokeh is out of this world.

The f/1.2 is the cult favorite, but for normal shooting I can't tell much difference - except the fact that the f/1.4 sells for about 1/8 the price (or free on a $45 ebay body).

7. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This lens was the last of the 50-somethings that I got in my Rokkor lineup and ironically it's now the one that I use the most, more than the MC PG 50/1.4 and MC 50/1.7. I absolutely love it.