what does DB mean in a lens(board)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by game, Nov 15, 2006.

1. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys, I have a feeling this is basic knowledge, but still I dont know.
    I know a lens should be fitted in a lensboard and combined with a shutter, copal or something like that in aorder to work.
    I am looking for a 90mm lens, and every now and then I spot a 90mm lens in a board with the letters DB....
    What does that mean? Instead of a shutter there is a closed ring or something...

is it just a board with lens and no shutter?
    do I need a shutter?
    Is DB for losers?

anyhow, lots of questions, can someone clear one or two thing up for me?
    THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
    game

[​IMG]

2. MarkS

MarkS Member

Lenses in Sinar DB mount are not for losers. They are meant to be used on a Sinar with their behind-the-lens shutter mounted on the front standard.
    The lensboard has a cone on the front, so that the entire lens will sit in front of the Sinar's front standard (and the shutter). Of course there's no between-the-lens shutter; so it's pointless to try and use these lenses any other way.

3. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, so I guess that DB is useless for me since my sinar works with a shutter in the lens board right?

Thanks game

4. pgomena

pgomena Member

That's correct. The DB shutter is quite a contraption, most useful to studio photographers doing a lot of tabletop work. Lenses in a DB board are useless without the shutter. Lenses with a shutter won't work with the DB shutter.

Peter Gomena

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Can a DB lens be removed from the board and fitted into a normal shutter? Or is it a special fitting.

Cheers

Martin

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No reason at all why the lenses cant be fitted into a regular shutter, but finding a good shutter can be is difficult and a new one is expensive, and the chances are it will cost you far more than finding and buying a lens already mounted in a shutter.

The BB stands for "Don't Buy" unless you have a Sinar and it's shutter.

Ian

7. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The front elements on my old 210 mm Caltar HR seperated, for some unknown reason. Also, I got severe paint flaking behind the very front element. I unscrewed the lens from the still perfectly good Copal 1 shutter, and got a Caltar S II on a DB board from KEH for about $200. The front and back of the lens screwed right into the shutter, and as a unit it performs flawlessly. And, I got $32. for the board on eBay. All and all, a pretty good deal for replacing a bad lens. Dean

8. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I figured it would work that way but wanted to be sure. I've seen DB mount lenses sell for less than a lens in shutter, and as I have a prontor press with nothing to wear then getting a Db lens is an option I can consider if the price is right.

Cheers,

Martin

9. S.K. Grimes

S.K. Grimes Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not all DB mounted lenses are a direct fit into a modern Copal/Compur/Prontor shutter. Typically, the larger and longer focal length lenses which appear to fit a Copal #3 shutter do in fact fit a #3 shutter. It's the shorter focal lengthed lenses which will may require adapters (most often for the rear optic).

It's also important to keep in mind that even if a lens screws directly into a shutter from a barrel, the distance between the optics and their relative location to the aperture may be different.

-Adam

10. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the extra information.

Cheers

Martin