What does this mean=Help.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by papisa, Jul 2, 2006.

1. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just bought a used Canon AE-1, with the silver body, i got 3 lenses with it.
    The one lens has this on. B&H/Canon lens, FD 24mm 1:2.8 and S.S.C in RED Capatial letters.
    What does S.S.C. mean, also it has another small thin lens screwed on to it.

It reads, Rolev M.G. 35MM Sky in Capatial Letter, does the add on lens means it is a 35MM Lens instead of a 24MM Lens DAAAAAA??

Thanks=Mike.

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SSC doesn't mean much - just Super Spectra Coating which is just a name Canon gave to their lens coating.

The "lens" is in fact a filter. A "Skylight" filter. It is designed to block UV light and may also be slightly tinted to give a warm-up effect. Many people put these filters (or UV filters, which are similar) on all their lenses to protect the front element of the lens.

The "35mm" probably refers to the filter's thread size.

Cheers, Bob.

3. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank You Bob-Mike.

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm is quite small for a filter diameter on such a lens. Does it read 55mm?

5. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jim, DA, yes it does read 55mm, some of the paint was gone and it looked like a 3 and it was the same size of the lens, should of see that.

Jim, did you get the pictures i sent you the other day of the Glass Plate Negatives, i e-mailed you first before i sent the pictures to you.

Thanks Mike.

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got them. Thanks for thinking of me.

Jim

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon used the name SC or spectra coating on the earlier lenses and SSC (super spectra coating) which is their version of multi coating.

Obviously the SSC lenses will have better flare control and the later FD lenes were all multi coated but not marked as such.

Probably would unscrew that filter and bin it as it just adds another unnecessary piece of glass to your lens.

If you feel that you need a filter, companies like Hoya and BW make high quality multi coated filters that don't affect the lens performance.

Cheers, Tony