What E-6 slide film is somewhat close to Kodachrome?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Samuel Hotton, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Samuel Hotton

Samuel Hotton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What E-6 reversal / slide film is available today that comes closest to the fine grain and rich saturation of the Kodachrome emulsions?
    What do you suggest please.
    Sam H.

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    AFAIK, in the USA there are currently NO E-6 films marketed at the present time. I would love to be wrong. There may be some product in 35mm and roll film still in the pipelines, though.

3. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am somewhat confused by your reply as I can walk up to my camera shop and pick up several different E-6 (slide films) and B&H has many choices - in 35/120 formats and sheet film. The processing is generally send out or mail off but processors are quite easy to find - though not terribly cheap unfortunately.
    n

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe I am over-reacting, ,but Kodak does not NOW show any available to purchase E-6 films on their web site-yes you can see product data for a couple of films, but just try clicking thru to the buy option, and Fuji USA told me their E-6 films were discontinued. Now I know there can be errors in information..but the fact that you can still "get" certain films at large stores just means there is still film in the pipeline. Like I said, I would love to be proven wrong, particularly in 4x5.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "Kodak Store" that one links to from the Kodak website is "DR globalTech, a Digital River Company", which I understand to be an independent business that contracts with Kodak to supply internet sales services from Kodak's website.

There has never been anything more than a small subset of Kodak's products there.

I would be willing to wager that they probably had very little E6 product there before, and since the 200 ISO emulsions have been discontinued, probably won't in the future.

6. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    E-6 film is widely available in both 120 and 220 format.

7. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AFAIK? Man, you don't know very far! :D
    Astia is apparently discontinued in 135, but available in larger sizes, including 220. Provia, and Velvia are available in 135 and larger. Provia 400 is available in 135 and 120, IDK about other sizes. Ditto with Kodak E100G and VS (though GX and E 200 are gone), and Elitechrome 100 (200 is gone).

8. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Rich saturation/fine grain ...

E100VS from Kodak is good, as is Velvia 50 from Fujifilm. I'm not sure how similar they are. Kodakchrome had a very unique look.

9. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it need to be chrome/reversal or would a saturated, contrasty color negative film do?

10. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :blink:

Since you'd love to be wrong... I'm happy to tell you, YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG!

11. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whenever anybody says "I don't know, but I think all E6 films are discontinued" it all gets filed away for the next time somebody searches on Google.

So stop it.

E6 film is widely available, and long may it remain so.

12. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Please don't condemn me for stating my frustration in trying to acquire film for my professional occupation. In 4x5, right now, there is NO Kodak E-6 film except at a few dealers that have existing stock..none is being shipped from Kodak. Maybe they'll decide to do a new emulsion run, I don't know. Just call any Kodak dealer and ask...what they say to me is "It is discontinued". This is from large dealers that sell everything Kodak makes.

There seems to be enough Fuji E-6 stocks for me to believe (in 4x5) that they may be still in production, despite what FUJI USA told me over the phone.

And Please, Please, Please don't judge the availability of a particular film just by it being shown on a web page of a vendor. Many vendors don't update their pages very fast.

13. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a few choices from Kodak, E100VS, E100G, and Elite Chrome, the E100G the one that people tent to rave about, but I prefer Elite Chrome 100EB This is a personal preference.

I admit not being a Fuji fan and I have only tried Sensia I did like it as much as Elite Chrome, there is also Velvia, and Velvia is the Fuji film that people say is best. I like Kodak film so I am just presenting choices here.

Slide film and processing can be a bit on the pricey side, but still I would recommend getting your hands on several different kinds and trying them out to see what you like best, think of it as an investment. Remember that Chrome can act different depending on how you view it, scans, prints, and projection will not look the same, and prints and scans depend a lot on the skill of the person making them.

And YES, all five of the films I have mentioned are readily available either on line, or at a camera shop. I know a few places that have Sensia on the shelf right now today that I could walk in and buy. I would also like to mention that Kodak's film sales partner that handles their direct on line sales does not 1/4 of what Kodak makes.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Please, please tell me where I can get Kodak E100G in 4x5 current in-date (not short dated) film stocks. I need about 300 sheets. I have exhausted all my resources.

16. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Please, please tell me where I can get Kodak E100G in 4x5 current in-date (not short dated) film stocks. I need about 300 sheets. I have exhausted all my resources. I have tried B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, Glasers, Unique Photo.

17. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It might be worth putting in a call to Kodak and ask them what the current status of 4x5 E6 is. Do they have it in stock? Is it out at the factory but getting ready for another coating? Etc. Peter is a nice guy. The time I called him about TMZ, after Freestyle and others said it was discontinued, Peter called around and informed me that they were out at the factory, but a new coating was being done a month from then.

1-800-242-2424, Ext. 19, Monday–Friday 9 a.m.–7 p.m. (Eastern time)

19. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am talking to a few distributors that I use. Hopefully I will get some news out of them. I can probably get you approx 150-200 sheets of current dated E100G. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Matt

20. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP was clearly not asking about 4x5, as Kodachrome was only 35mm. You said there are "no E-6 films marketed at the present time." That statement encompasses all formats.
    A quick search of one of the fast-turnover vendors like B+H or Adorama would show current E-6 films.
    If all this stuff was "in the pipeline" with no more being produced, i.e., a mass extinction of E-6, don't you think there would have been a thread or two about it here?

It wasn't a very responsible thing to say, the way you said it. The point about it turning up in search results very apt.

I certainly hope you find the 4x5 you are seeking.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  21. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try Calumet or J. Cohen Photography, or Amazon.com?

The OP was about 35mm, and my reply was about 35mm.

22. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, at one time, Kodachrome was available in 4x5 sheets and 120 (I have three 120 rolls still in my freezer and would like to get the processed as B&W once I figure out the chemistry).

Kind of what I was thinking, too.

23. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, yeah, to be completely accurate. I don't think the OP was referring to those, though.
    Especially the 4x5. I mean, it's been more than a half-century...:whistling:

24. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  26. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They actually show 5 or so on the Kodak site.

I find it in-stock at several photo companies in sheets and rolls.

PE