what features do you like/dislike on different cameras or lens systems?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darinwc, May 15, 2007.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what features do you like/dislike on different cameras or lens systems?

Examples:

I really like the cannon FD lens mount. Its really easy to mount/unmount the lens with one hand. On some other cameras you have to use one hand to press a button on the body with one hand, and remove the lens with the other hand. Also the red dot on the canon FD lenses is right at the top so its easy to see and match up when mounting.

2. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the fact that any brand of lens can be used on most any brand of 5x4. How much richer would we all be if you could do that on MF and 35mm?:smile:

3. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the way Canon EOS bodies fit my hands and the controls fall exactly where they should (for me). I like the way Leica rangefinders are small and light and they don't cause my arthritic neck to have spasms at the end of the day. I like the way Pentax 645 cameras handle like big 35mm SLR's but I wish they weighed the same as the Leica rangefinders.

4. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like Lee, I like how Canon's cameras' controls make sense to me. I know a lot of people say Nikon builds better bodies, but I tried out a Nikon F6 the other day in a camera store and the controls are located in weird places on the body. I also like the sensitivity of Canon's professional 45-point AF system.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something is usually lost on modern cameras . . . . . . . simplicity.

For 35mm there's nothing better than Leica M3, and it's simple add-on meter, with great accurate and sharp tonal Leitz lenses, or a screw thread Pentax Spotmatic, thats my preferances but I'm sure I could have found equally ecellent cameras from other manufacturers.

What I really don't want is any program modes, just a speed dial and an aperture ring, I want total control.

Of course with LF I have all this control, and so I must use my brain.

What I hate is cameras that try to think, like Canon EOS's, I shoot many thousands of images with one each month, don't get me wrong its a good in many ways, but autofocus, its metering, and far to many buttons and functions make it far harder to use quickly, instinctivly and decisively. So as a consequence I stick to simple cameras for all my film work.

Ian

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Ian. The older Leicas weren't as easy to load as most cameras, but one could learn to do it by feel. Lenses could be changed by feel. So could shutter speeds and apertures. Even the focusing could be approximately set without ever looking at the camera. As another company said about a different product, "It fits in your hand like the hand of a friend."

Despite this, I still often use the Nikon F for economy and versatility. Many camera systems have been planned to keep up with the competition. The Nikon F was engineered to be the best system for many years to come.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the fact that on my Olympus SLRs, the shutter speed, the focus and the aperture all have controls that can be operated with little or no adjustment of the position of either hand.

Matt

8. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, I agree with your opinion on the Leica. But I find my EOS bodies to be easier for me to use quickly and instinctively. All those controls confuse initially until you realize no one ever needs to use them all. You set the camera up for the way you want to use it and never change it. Basically, for me, I use the camera in manual mode with a handheld meter or aperture priority with evaluative metering and bracket in half-stops. I use the autofocus like I do the rangefinder patch on my Leicas--I focus using the center sensor and recompose. It's simple to me.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion and personal preference. What works for me is unlikely to work the same for anyone else.

9. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like a camera that is heavy, well built and simple to use. The older the better. Something that makes the plastic toting digi users to take a second look. My F2, FTN and F3 all meet those ideals. I started with a bells and whistles Pentax and found I either shot lots of useless frames or missed good shots while messing around with all the controls.

10. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guys, Try to be more specific on the features you like..

A friend of mine really liked the mechanical timers on cameras.. you know the lever in the front that you turn 90 degrees to enable the slef-timer. he hated the blinking or beeping timers.

11. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like how I can use good classic Nikkors from the manual focus days on my AF bodies.

I like how I can use my really neat modern AF Nikkors on my manual Nikons.

I like how the controls of my F100 are exactly where I want them to be. I don't have to think at all to use this camera.

I like that je ne sais quoi I feel when I use my F3HP. I don't need it... but using it is just so pleasurable.

12. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired a Leica R8. Among the things I really like about it:
    1) The incredibly simple procedure for mirror lock-up (flick a switch, press release once to raise mirror, another time to fire shutter)
    2) Its very easy-to-use selector switch for 1st/2nd curtain flash sync (haven't really used this yet but look forward to doing so)
    3) Its very effective matrix metering - with 35 mm cameras, I look above all for speed of operation.

Regards,

David

13. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the 100% viewfinder of the Nikon F3, also being able to change the viewfinder completely, and the mirror lock up. Fantastic is the ability to use all the lens on any vintage including something like the D70s.

Although I have not used as much, Leica has as much or more versitlity, being able to use screw mount on the bayonet M's, being able to convert the RF into a SLR, no batteries except late models.

I like the quality and long term usefulness of both of these.

Jim

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I feel the same way about my Nikon F5.

I've always been a Nikon person, and I've never had any real complaints. The only thing that has bothered me about Nikon is the less than 100% coverage of the viewfinder on the non-pro models (like my N80). I have to admit to lusting after an F6 (but just can't seem to justify the purchase at the moment).

16. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am on the side of Ian Grant and Jim Jones, for RF film camera's anyway, but I would like to add to this the M5's shutter 'wheel' and the rather 'graphical' display of the lightmeter...
    For 35 mm SLR's, to me, the Pentax LX is some kind of "...the hand of a friend..." (once the sticky mirror is cured).
    For MF, it is still the robustness and the versatility of the Hasselblad who earns my confidence, but it's wight is a drawback.

Philippe

17. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I absolutely hate plastic cameras and how Canon has always found the way to make the cheapest crap (the "kit" lens) and how the bottom-feeding public is more interested in low price than quality. (So, tell us how you really feel!) :smile:

18. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The general public is price-sensitive and prints no larger than 4x6" (if they print at all rather than viewing on a screen). Kit lenses do a great job of meeting these criteria - if you want higher quality, Canon can certainly supply it for a few (hundred) dollars more!

19. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my EOS 1n.
    The 100% viewfinder is wonderful. The controls sit just where they should (for me anyway)
    You can sling it over your shoulder and not worry about knocking the mode dial, because there isn't one - you press a button and then use the main dial.
    It's so fast. The fire/wind sequence is faster than just the fire on most electronic cameras.
    And the grip... the main grip just fits my hand perfectly. Trouble is, I never want to let go :D

20. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What bugs me about some systems are the different models of accessories required for different cameras of the same brand. For example, my F4 remote control can't be used on my D2X (OK it's a digital camera versus film camera, but you get the idea).

Hasselblad did it right by design backwards compatibility into their models and most of their accessories.

Regards, Art.

21. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I disliked my EOS Elan IIe because the battery chamber was not designed very well and the battery did not retain it's contact with the camera.

I hated my EOS 3 because it DEVOURED batteries when using a lens with IS on it.

I like my Canon FD bodies and lenses. I like my Nikon F5 & FM3A just fine too. Rangefinders are good too.

But, I like my LF cameras the best.

22. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a fan of rangefinders, but I find that when I want to 'get a little closer', I'm limited by the focus (or lack of) with rangefinders. As other's have said, I love the simplicity of them, though. Generally, I just worry about aperture and shutter speed...set it for what I want, and I'm good to go until the light changes.

23. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the ease of use of my P6X7, the filmformat, the extension tubes, the great 45mm and the built- and imagequality.
    I like the handling of my F90X and F100, the spotmeters, the good quality of the Nikkors and the fact that Zeiss make the ZF lenses.
    I like the simplicity of the Holga :smile:
    I dislike the dim viewfinder of my P6X7 and that I can't cancel the mirror lock up without loosing a frame.
    I dislike the poor lit infobar (compared to F90X) on my F100.
    The only thing I dislike about the Bronica SQA-i is that I sold it :D
    Kind regards
    Søren

24. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the fact that when I move the shutter speed lever on my Rolleicord, it moves the aperture lever to maintain the same EV setting.

And...

I dislike the fact that when I move the shutter speed lever on my Rolleicord, it moves the aperture lever to maintain the same EV setting.

If it could read my mind and decide if I wanted it to be coupled or not, that would be great!

Steve.

25. Magnus W

Magnus W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really like my Pentax LX. It is precisely the right size for my hands and everything feels natural about it ...

Except!

The fiddlyness of the exposure compensation dial. I have used this camera for 25 years now, and I still end up changing the iso-setting by mistake about every third time. And you need, like three hands to do it, and preferrably a friend to help you holding the camera.
    (small rant over).

Otherwise I love it.

-- MW

26. Kathab

Kathab Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I like the fact that after 50 years of black and white photography, that there are people who still love this media, that film producers are still producing black and white roll film, and that Ebay is a source of analogue equipment at reasonable market prices. Long may it reign!!!!!