what filter to user for very detailed skin in black and white

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by photoworks68, Mar 15, 2013.

1. photoworks68

photoworks68 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been looking to get the kind of skin detail effect in black and white as seen in the following photographs by Michael Thompson.

Chandra.jpg
    chandra_north_foudre.jpeg

Would anyone know what colored filter to use to get the maximum skin details. Would that be blue filter ?

Thanks in advanced.

2. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The sharpness will come from the lens itself and your technique in using it. Filters can change the contrast between colors. A red filter will lighten reddish freckles, for example. If you want to accentuate reddish freckles you can use a green filter. Some people use a green filter to approximate the look of orthochromatic film. A blue filter can also be used to darken reddish skin markings/shadings. There are various shades of blue filters which can be used. Making a darker print can also show more details if you like that look. Contrasty lighting will also show more detail.

3. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may find a blue filter a bit much. As above, a green filter may be a better bet. But a 100 ISO film or slower, a sharp lens and a little over development might be what we're seeing in your samples.

4. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. photoworks68

photoworks68 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the replies.
    I already have a sharp lens but I was not sure whether to use a green or blue filter.