What flash for a Pentax 645?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Feral Donkey, May 17, 2006.

1. Feral Donkey

Feral Donkey Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm pretty new to the whole medium format thing. I've got a wedding job to do next month. I'd like to use my Pentax for this but I can't seem to find a flash for this rig. I'll keep my 35mm kit on hand as back up.

I need a flash for a lot of things. I was just down in the rainforest in central America and there's not a lot of light under the canopy. Is there a dedicated flash for this camera? What's everyone else using?

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Pentax has a dedicated flashgun for the 645. Check out their website. I myself use a Metz 54MZ-3 zoom flash that, with different adapters, can be used on lots of other cameras. www.metz.de

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentax has a few flashes on brackets. I have the AF400T, which can run from AA batteries or a power pack. It's pretty adjustable - both in output and head angle.
    I don't know if you have the 645 or the 645N, but the autofocus mechanism on the 645N can be easily fried if you use a flash that puts too much back to the camera. Yup, been there, done that.

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use a metz module. 372 I think. It's the manual focus one for the 645. This way I can use any flash that can take Metz modules. I've got a couple Metz 45s and a small collection of Agfa flashes. This way I've got smaller lighter ones and the big one for when I need lots of power. Basically all of my cameras that can take a dedicated flash work with a metz module. Plus if you buy used the stuff is fairly reasonable.

5. Feral Donkey

Feral Donkey Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm using the regular manual focus 645. Will the flashes for the auto focus models work with mine? Would the AF-400T be a good choice for my rig?

6. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The AF400T works well with the 645 and takes advantage of the TTL circuitry. It seems to cycle a bit slowly and would likely do well with a Quantum power source, though.

7. gasha

gasha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tested my manual focus 645 with Sigma 500 flashes. Both EF-500 ST and Super-DG works well.
    Pentax camera does not display much info when flash is mounted, but if you select mode "60", then it works.
    Maybe even TTL works, as exposures were 100% correct. I got my 500-ST Sigma non-DG used, and i think it has very good value for me. I used it to photo some events with MZ-3 35mm camera.