What gear for hiking?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by olleorama, Sep 21, 2009.

1. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Going hiking soon, in mountains and marsh lands. In the far north of sweden. Probably fantastic autumn colours. I'm thinking of what to bring. I wanna do some landscape photo I think, and may be some close-up still lifes. So, this is the cameras and lenses I have at my disposal:

*Mamiya RB67 (only one back unfortunately and the 90 mm C)
    *Nikon FM (50/1.8, 28-80/3.5-4.5,28/2.5)
    *Chinon CX (no batteries, and no 1.35 available before leaving. 135/2.8, 28-80/a lot + macro, 55/1.7 and a few other slow lenses)
    *Rollei 35 T (40/3.5 scale focus)
    *Yashica lynx 14E (45/1.4 range finder)
    *Nikon F80 (N80 in the us) (same lenses as the FM plus a G 70-300/4.5-5.6)
    *Minolta something point-and-shoot.

If I go for any of the SLRs I'll take a tripod. The mamiya is in the lead right now, although I'm seriously thinking of going against the grain here and just taking the rollei.. Is the pictures worth the extra weight of the mamiya and the tripod? Hmm, although I usually say that the mamiya rb isn't really heavy, I suspect that i might feel a bit heavier together with a tent, sleeping bag and so on. It would be fun just taking a point and shoot and just snap away. Hmm, maybe a 35 mm slr would be the rational choice here, but isn't it a bit boring? The chinon I got for free this saturday, is rather unproven, and I don't have any battery for it, I won't have any time for testing how to compensate for the extra voltage induced by the 1.5 volt battery available rather than the 1.35 mercury that it is designed for. Although I seriously like the zoom lens with macro settings. Since I will take my benbo tripod I will have good opportunities to do some macro shooting. This could of course also be done with the mamiya. Which probably weighs the same as the chinon and the zoom lens. The FM is lighter, but lacks macro.

And I haven't really given films any serious thinking yet. In 35 mm I currently only have fomapan 400. In 120 I have shanghai GP3 100 and reala expired '96 (!). I think I will buy some tomorrow. In colour I prefer print film rather than slides, as I like physical prints best. What colour negative film has the most velviaesque qualities? What B/W film would you take? Gave some old expired Pan F some thought, should be alright, shouldn't it?

Well as you see, I'm having some mild anxiety of what to bring. Suggestions on camera/lens combinations and film are very welcome.

2. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it were me, I wouldn't consider anything bigger and heavier than one of your Nikons.

Way I see it, if the purpose of your trip isn't specifically to take pictures, then photography is an incidental activity and it shouldn't unduly be weighing you down with extra mass that you're going to feel every step you take.

Just the Rollei 35T and nothing else is something I'd seriously consider if I was selecting from your kit. More likely though, I'd take the FM, 50mm 1.8, 28mm 2.5 and the Rollei. I'd prefer a longer prime for the Nikon, but you don't own one. The FM brings reasonably compact flexibility to the game while the Rollei is both a lightweight backup and much faster to deploy in certain circumstances. SLR or not, I'd leave the tripod at home unless it was a very light carbon fiber unit.

These suggestions are naturally based on my own preferences and biases, but you asked. :smile:

I recommend you look for Kodak Ektar for a fine-grained, saturated negative film. B&W gets too subjective to really make many suggestions.

3. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually have another prime in F mount too, when I think about it. A 135 I think.

Ektar will be put on the film list. I'm doing this with my better half so it will probably be pretty slow, and there will probably be a lot of opportunities for shooting. Like dusk an dawn by the tent.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mamiya 6/6mf/7/7ii.
    Fuji GW/GSW 670 or 690.
    Fuji GA 645zi.

Rangefinders... they are your best hiking buddies :wink:

There is no colour neg film with velviaesque qualities. Use velvia if you want velviaesque qualities :smile: Ektar is not anywhere near velvia in colour rendition, in my experience... not even close. Maybe try reala 100 rated a third stop slower if it must be c41?

B&W film for hiking... I think I'd go with fp4+/hp5+. In my case, the slower films don't seem to find as much use when I am out hiking. Especially if you are going to shoot medium format, you may as well tote something with a bit more speed than pan f, in my opinion. Unless you plan to schlepp a tripod too.

5. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you really want landscapes in color, I'd take the Rollei. It is very bulky, but not heavy. The large negatives have the potential to get good landscapes hand-held with no tripod.

The other way I'd go is to take the lightest, smallest camera; the Yashica RF or the Minolta point-n-shoot. Either way, you get to take pictures. No tripod to regret. Any decent tripod is going to be way too heavy for any backpacking trip which is not specifically dedicated for getting photos.

An old hiker's trick is to use a hiking pole as a monopole. There are adapters, I think.

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You must be a better man than I am to even consider the RB. :smile:

I'm planning a short backpacking trip in northern Minnesota, US. Hilly, but not mountainous. Just me and the dog - though she promised to carry her own food.

I'm struggling to get my pack weight down to a reasonable weight. I can't decide whether to take a 6x9 folder, my Rollei 35S, and/or a small P&S with 28-70 zoom. Will probably take the 6x9 and Rollei; along with a Gossen Pilot. Long lenses will be largely useless here. In fact, my concern with the Rollei and 6x9 combination is that I won't have anything wider than 40mm.

Not sure if I'll take color print or slide film. Will take some b/w also.

7. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Uh, Dave, the OP owns a Rollei 35T, not a Rollei TLR. That Rollei probably is the smallest, lightest camera he's got. :smile:

8. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oops! I was thinking of a 3.5 TLR. Nevermind.

9. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm going to be doing an overnight (or two nights) in the Victorian Alps with a friend of mine from APUG and I'll be taking my 8x10 Tachihara, Manfrotto 075 tripod with 3 way head, 10 film holders, light meter, filters, plus a sleeping bag, food and a small tent. All up about 35-40 kg. Nowe who's mad?
    Mike

10. verney

verney Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Less is more. Take this from a guy who drags way too much gear to wilderness.

How long trip will this be? For overnight trips it is possible to drag almost anything. For three week trip I would try to go as light as possible. If you backpack weighs too much you will be too tired to take photographs.

When I was young and stupid (not young anymore) I carried a Nikon F4 with three lenses and a Manfrotto 190 trip along with 21 days of food and camping supplies. Now it's small DSLR with two lenses, very small gitzo and trips are getting shorter also. I'm seriously thinking about something with a fixed lens and no tripod.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  11. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take the Nikon FM, sell the Chinon and buy a ext tube to do macro :smile:. Rules that work for me - To much gear will ruin trip, if its in your bag you won't use it.

12. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't sell the chinon though, I inherited you see. It would be rude to sell I think (although he can't really do anything about it). And I really like the m42 mount, there are so many good lenses available for a song.

I think I will go for the FM with a few lenses, no tripod and a digital prosumer compact.

Sigh. I really wanted the RB for this one, but as I'm the one carrying the tent and stove I think the extra bulk will make the trip somewhat less enjoyable.

13. wy2l

wy2l Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take it all. Plus a good, heavy tripod. (This is from a guy who just spent two weeks backpacking in the High Sierra with a Pentax 67).

Kris

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The N80 would be my first choice, along with the 50mm and 28mm prime. You could pick up an N75 for a song and keep one for color, one for B&W. Don't forget a polarizer. If you use Ektar with a polarizer you get Velvia, but no slides to project and wow your friends with when you get back.

16. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much do the latter figure in your plans? If you are quite serious about close-up work, an SLR would have an advantage over the rangefinders.

17. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Throw out the knife, fork, & spoon set and buy yourself a lightweight titanium spork instead. Then have a look at the cooking gear - A single Ti pan is enough, and you can cook over a pepsi can stove. Tent pegs can be made from sticks laying around, and you can cut out poles by using your tripod as the main support.

Now you can think about packing the RB67 :tongue:

Remember - If your camping gear weighs more than the camera kit, either pick a lighter tent or get a bigger camera :surprised:

18. DJGainer

DJGainer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take the rb67. If you really want to take it, just deal with the extra weight. I'd rather regret having too much with me than too little.

19. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I agree with taking the FM and a couple of primes. I'm surprised so many people recommend not taking a tripod. Your FM kit gives you the lens flexibility and weight/size advantages, but the tripod will get you the quality enlargements you were looking for with the RB. I'd pack a compact gitzo in a heartbeat.

B.t.w., Wyno, that list of stuff you hauled around made my back hurt just reading it!

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The choices I have made are in bold below:

*Mamiya RB67 (only one back unfortunately and the 90 mm C)
    *Nikon FM (50/1.8, 28-80/3.5-4.5,28/2.5)
    *Chinon CX (no batteries, and no 1.35 available before leaving. 135/2.8, 28-80/a lot + macro, 55/1.7 and a few other slow lenses)
    *Rollei 35 T (40/3.5 scale focus)
    *Yashica lynx 14E (45/1.4 range finder)
    *Nikon F80 (N80 in the us) (same lenses as the FM plus a G 70-300/4.5-5.6)
    *Minolta something point-and-shoot.

For these choices (not the BIG Mama Mamiya!), add a small tripod (the lighter the better i.e. carbon fibre)

Believe me it's no fun carrying 11kg of cameras on your back through untracked country, fording rivers, slogging uphill and bashing through tangled undergrowth; I tend to pack light now..
    I guess, though, Wyno will beg to differ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

If I recall correctly, Wyno's kit weighs in at 30kg+ ! You read it right...

22. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who's mad!?
    Well, son, I feel something is very, very wrong somewhere. But if you enjoy it (and more importantly can haul it!), we mere mortals salute you! :smile:

EDIT: Mount Feathertop on 17-18th October (I'm in so far), or something else????

23. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love it.

24. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, I chose the fm with a 28 and a 50 prime (and a ricoh gr-d II). My wonderful girlfriend surprised me by taking a minolta hi-matic GF I didn't new she had. I shot tmax, she shot reala expired in '96. Should be some swell prints!

25. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I went on a day walk with Poisson du jour (Gary Higgins) and SMBooth (Shane) on Sunday to the Otway Ranges here in Victoria. There had been 40 mils of rain the day before, so it was quite wet. I took the 8x10 tqchihara and holders and Manfrotto 075 tripod, about 30+ kg. Gary took a digi pic of me just before we started out. I have attached it for your enjoyment. Ignore the pained look on my face, I was just imagining what I was going to feel like after we got back from our 6 k hike.
    Mike

http://users.ncable.net.au/~higgins1/_APUG/Trans-Otway Waterfall Walk/album/slides/IMG_2552.html

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not a landscape photographer, but I do recall that when I was in the military many years ago I learned that it had been accepted since the middle ages that the maximum a infantryman could carry for a days march, and still be fit for combat is about 60 Lb, I always bear this in mind before I load my camera bags.