What gives at retrophoto ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by digiconvert, Dec 10, 2007.

1. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone had any orders delivered since retrophotographic's move ?
    I can't get a response from them . I know the move seems to have been a bit of a huge task but they are in danger of losing me as a customer and I really like their range .

Cheers CJB

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had one incomplete delivery from them last week. They may be playing catch up after their move.

3. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've emailed them 3 times about an order but have heard nothing. I understand they may be busy with backlog etc, but a quick email to say we are dealing with it and how long it might take would be nice....

4. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm about to order some paper tomorrow. My last web order (before the move) was forgotten about. Get yer act together!

5. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't they say they wont answer calls and emails until a later date, so they can get caught up on their orders?

6. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spoke to Nigel a week or so ago and he told me they'd had some problems with the new phone line installation following the move, and he was unable to get broadband access. I'm sure they'll be up and running as soon as they can but sometimes these problems do occur when you're running a small business from a rural area, as I'm well aware ...

7. Jack Lusted

Jack Lusted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I placed an order with them on 20th Nov - a bit after the move. Nothing received yet. No e-mails answered and cant get through on phone.

Hope they get their act together soon as they always used to be very quick and their p+p costs were reasonable.

Sorry that they are having problems with phone lines. I moved in August and it took the dunder-heads at BT about 10 days to get my land line connected. What a shower!

Jack

8. Keith Cocker

Keith Cocker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My view of them has always been - great supplies, lousy service - poor communication has always been a "feature" of dealing with him! Sometimes its a necessary part of dealing with a niche market!

9. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered some Ilford Cooltone some weeks back and after an inital acceptance of the order heard nothing - tried phoning and didn't get through so emailed. It did take a few days for a response, but I did get a reply, not only that had an email conversation and decided to cancel the rest of my order for now as the Cooltone is no longer available - made it not worth it with the postage( doesn't seem to be available anywhere now despite still appearing on some websites :sad: ) Can't really complain about the service in my case. I would have like to have known about the unavailability of Cooltone earlier, but then again I could have chased it up a bit earlier too...

10. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Richard, that probably explains why I've not had a reply.

11. Steve S

Steve S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Similar experience here. My order was placed on 4th Nov. I have sent emails and tried phoning to no avail. I would have thought the easiest way to address the concerns raised would have been to regularly update their homepage. The current entry gives no indication as to dates.

12. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanhs to those who have replied. The website had said that they would be able to take calls as of yesterday but I guess they are still having problems with BT. Knowing the problem makes me feel much happier and understanding.

The thought of not being able to get Adox/Efke 25 is just not a happy one :smile:

13. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you tried silverprint?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I emailed them over two weeks ago and no reaponse. Telephone is not answered and that message has been on their website for weeks. Infact just when did they "Move" because it only takes a day to do the actual move. What did they do, move to a building plot and are building the house while living in a tent?

Shutting down your business for weeks without notifying or informing your customers when you will be trading again is not a smart business move. I've already gone elsewhere because I would like a reliable supplier.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  16. pauliej

pauliej Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree with Rob, that this seems like very poor planning on their part. I would like to "assume" that the problems are beyond their control, and they will be back in business and up and running asap. This seems like a very good way to shoot your business in the foot, so to speak. This could kill the business off, as it drives customers to other outlets, and they may never come back. Too few analog photo businesses as it is, I'm a thinkin'.

Just my 2 cents, before taxes...

Paul

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cate I have a terrible feeling you will say you have tried here as well but I think I recall Secondhand Darkroom Supplies still having Cooltone on its site. Might be worth a look and if I am right then a phonecall. I think MORCO has it on its site as well and again a call might be better than assuming it's still in stock just because its shown.

Good luck

pentaxuser

18. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks pentaxuser, Secondhand Darkroom Supplies is somewhere I hadn't tried (Morco no longer has it) - just phoned up and guess what, they had one last one left - now on it's way to me. (Now I'm cross about retro sitting on the order, as I could possibly have got more).

On a sideline I've never used Secondhand D S before but it looks good value and next day delivery (had to spend more to make the order worthwhile!)

Hmm

19. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SDS are a company I rate highly. Prices are good and the owner is really helpful and informative if you ring. Clever delivery pricing always makes me think I may as well order a bit more .... miffed you got the last cooltone though I was just thinking I needed some more . Ho hum :smile:

20. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been beating a path to Silverprint for so long, I don't tend to go elsewhere, apart from firstcall - & obviously retro recently - but for Ilford products Second hand darkroom S does look good. Sorry about the Cooltone, but I was a bit tardy and disorganised myself in my supposed 'stockpiling' - I should have known to have ordered immediately I knew about it's demise, when there was still plenty about. Never mind, I never get disheartened for long over products going - with hope, there's always some alternative!

21. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EU rules mean that you can buy direct from Fotoimpex in Germany if you want to rather than use Retro. It's a free market which means they can't discriminate because of your location, if that happens to be in the UK.

Ian

22. Paul.

Paul. Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Another one for the list is Nova, have had exelent service and prices from them. Last used them last week, had to phone them as I could not get the email order thing to work, probably my fault as computors are not my thing. If you phone an order it helps Sue if you have the stock No from the web site but in fairness she had the goods to me double quick without them. I paid £5.95 postage on 2 boxes of paper but belive I could of got a lot more deliverd for the same price.
    I went to Nova because I couldnot contact Retro.

Regards Paul.

23. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My big bugbear is THEY HAVE HAD MY MONEY but I have no goods. If anyone from retro (RH Des know anyone ?) is active on the board a simple message to the forum could save a lot of lost custom :smile:

24. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have just had an email from Nigel this evening and the orders are gong/have gone out - including mine. Don't worry, the chap is good. Always a pain when you move.

25. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've dealt with Nigel before (they do seem to screw up occasionally :smile: ) and have every faith in them as individuals but a move that goes wrong can kill a company . Retro are pretty adventurous with their range and it would be a pity to see them go . Plus the order contains instamatic films for my mom :tongue:

26. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Glad you got one. Just as a matter of interest how did you get anyone on the phone in the evening? I had no idea there was a phone service beyond office hours. I was expecting that you'd have to wait until tomorrow morning.

They do have keen prices and I too found the person on the end of the phone( owner?) to be helpful. SDS have recently expanded on its chemical stock and deserve support for this.

In terms of postage cost to benefit however Nova take a bit of beating. It has a one charge fits all policy or it did the last time I used it. If you were getting large stocks of paper and chems and even the odd enlarger it would be amazing value

pentaxuser