What glue for light seals?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Athiril, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Everything says pliobond.

We don't have that in the shop here in Australia. I assume that is a brand.

What type of glue is pliobond? I will need an alternative, I want to go get it at the shop and not have to wait for something online.

It sounds like it is rubber cement.

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have a hobby/craft store they should have glue in the fabric department. You want to stay away from strong adhesives like super glue, gorilla glue or even model glue. Stick with (pun) hobby glue that will not harden but at the same time not remain tacky/sticky. Plio-bond is a good glue for light seals, I use it with black yarn in the door groves and black felt for the strip at the hinge and on some cameras, the latch. You should also be able to find it at a well stocked hunting/fishing shop. You will want to let the camera air out before you close it up so that you don't inadvertently glue your door shut and to let the fumes evaporate.

3. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Black silicon, this they use in aluminum cavities, you can find and small units in work shop. I use one in my Minox for light seals with perfect result, only stay open for 1-2 days for complete dry.

4. ndrs

ndrs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't need to glue the seals that go into grooves. Just make sure they are wide enough to stay in place. I have replaced seals on about ten camers and I gave up glue after the first one. Never had a problem. Try to find some self-adhesive foam for the hinge and latch. In some cameras the space around the hinge is so tight that it's better to use thin felt, also available with self-adhesive backing.

5. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found self-adhesive foam.. but its white not black. Argh. Will look in the day time perhaps in the city.

6. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Use the thin double sided tape on foam seals, apply it to the sheet before you cut it. We use to use contact cement but it's a PIA to do without making a mess if you aren't experianced at it.

Most seals are self stick these days anyway.

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    X2

Alternatives to Pliobond, for the very few places where glue might be needed on seals -- rubber cement and contact cement (but don't coat and dry because that's WAY too much sticking power for seals -- just apply tiny dabs and press the seal material down.)

8. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    NO silicon, NO epoxy, NO crazy glue (cyanoacrylate). You "should" be using a glue that remains flexible and can be taken out in the future if needed. I have received OMs in for overhaul where the customer thought he was doing me a favor by replacing the slot foam in advance using with silicon glue. A horrible mess. I leave the foam as is with no warranty. Use a brown rubber cement like Pliobond or Hobsco's "Goo", distributed by Walthers. John

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No clue what's available in OZ but craft/art stores tend to carry thin adhesive-backed foam and felt. It's all I use.

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pliobond = Contact cement.
    If you use it by applying it to a single surface, it is removable. A toothpick or sewing needle to apply it into the groove.

Or get a kit from Jon Goodman, it's self-adhesive.

11. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't use glue if you don't have too. Remember, some poor sod, and it might be you, is going to have to replace the seals in time. A friction/stuff fit, with possibly a dot of glue at a few spots, is more than adequate.

If you do need glue then use something easily removable either with mechanical action or solvent. Rubber cement is a good choice. Pliobond/contact cement is great for gluing kitchen counter-tops and shoe heels - and a very poor choice for attaching a sliver of yarn or foam in a hard-to-clean channel.

Any damn fool can glue two things together. The art is in making it so the two things come apart easily when you want them to.

12. M. Lointain

M. Lointain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubber cement is better than pliobond, and only put a little at the ends and do it while it is still wet. You will never have a problem with the foam slipping nor have a problem removing it.