What grade on chemicals?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by WarEaglemtn, Mar 15, 2006.

1. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was looking for some Lithium Chloride and Lithium Oxalate. On inquiry a supplier asked if I wanted Reagent or Reagent ACS? The second is apparently a bit more pure than the first.
    I am doing Ziatypes... is one definately better than the other for making my own Lithium Palladium #3 and my Lithium ferric oxalate for prints?

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reagent grade should be good enough.

PE

3. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think even reagent grade is overkill.

4. ron mcelroy

ron mcelroy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Its been a long time since I bought bulk thru a nonphoto oriented source, but I thought that the chemical grades went, from lowest purity to highest, commerical, reagent, photographic, and pharmaceutical.

5. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The purity ratings are not necessarily ordered in speriority, but if I had to do it anyway, it'd be something like this: crude < technical < purified < photographic < pharmaceutical < analytical reagent

Today, it often happens that technical, purified and photographic are very similar or same. But for many agents there is ANSI standard for photographic grade chemicals. Pharmaceutical grade is not necessarily all that pure but they have different set of requirements, as you might have guessed. Analytical grades are made with special attention in purity, and they must be tested for purity at the time of packaging and certified. That is, if someone repackage an agent rated at AR grade, it is no longer AR grade, unless it is re-tested and pass it. It's very strict.

Some chemical companies claim they sell reagent grade chemicals, but they sent me chemicals contaminated with insoluble crap, etc. Triple-S Chemical Products, Inc. is one of them. They sent me certificate of analysis, which says that their chemicals are ACS AR grade, but the stuff is obviously crap, for the insoluble matter alone. I could get much purer technical grade chemicals elsewhere.

6. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bostick and Sullivan indicated that all their chemicals are reagent grade.