What is a fair price to pay for a mint M6 Leica?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Iluvmycam, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I read M6's can be bought for less than $1000. But when I looked at some of the big camera webstores, I don't see anything in that price range.

What is a fair price to pay for a mint M6 Leica?

Thanks

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you really and truely want one, then whatever price is asked.

3. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To get a better idea about current prices on a used M6 search on the big auction site for completed listings. Enough M6 camera are sold so that you could get a good idea fairly quick.

You will not find a mint condition M6 for 1k or bellow unless you are real lucky. $1,400 i think is a more realistic price.

4. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, thanks.

Does anyone know what the M6 sold for when new? Just wondering how they hold their value?

5. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When they came out I think they were under $900!

6. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I paid $1299 (plus 5 per cent GST) for one of my M6 bodies (listed by the seller as "mint -") in 2009. I would consider it mint - the body had no markings that I could see. The body came with all its original packaging (including the external silver box, the red velvet display case ((are there actually people who keep their Leicas in these things?!?1)) and all the original Leica paperwork including a warranty card and something called "Leica passport"(?). In retrospect, I probably got a deal of sorts: prices seem to have stayed in the $1200-$1500 region for the past several years (in North America at any rate). FWIW: I wouldn't quibble over a few hundred dollars; you will be making a purchase that will likely last your lifetime.

7. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Run through an inflation calculator, $900 in 1984 is about $2,000 in 2013.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you mean "a fair price" for the buyer, or the seller ?.

9. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, they were a good investment. Shoot all you want and make money when you sell!

10. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Twenty years ago they sold for about $2000 new. Take inflation into account too, and from a financial perspective, a new M6 turned out to be a spectacularly bad investment.

As an investment in photographic enjoyment - well, that's a different story. And at today's prices for clean M6 bodies, that measure of ROI is better than it's ever been.

11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do you mean mint -- as in never used? Or mint as in excellent condition? There is a difference.

By the way, I would be cautious about using a camera that has never been used. For a body, I would expect you to pay at least $1,000 from a dealer, possibly a bit less through private sale. For that kind of money, it's probably best to buy through a reputable source, or at least from someone that is trusted -- whether it be eBay, an Internet forum or someone at work

12. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a phenomenal deal from a friend/fellow Ape Hugger, with $1000 for a VG M6 (not TTL) body only. From what I've seen you'd be looking at more than that, up to about $1500.

It's a great camera, and I picked mine up with the idea of it being something I'd own and use for decades. "If I could only have one...", sort of idea.

A side idea: you might want to look for an M4, M4-P/2, as the body is very similar to an M6 -- only minus the built-in exposure meter. I either eyeball my exposure or else use a small handheld meter....something to consider.

13. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a perfect search, but this is recently sold on ebay. A wide spread in prices for M6 bodies. Lowest price ones seem to have issues, looks like the $1200-1300 range is where they are these days. Repairs on these are not cheap, so a $800 bargain may take another $400 to fix. I'd contact some of the repair folks and get some idea of current repair costs before heading for the lowest price I could find.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mr.3D

Mr.3D Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  16. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might look up KEH. BGN is over $1,000.

Jeff

17. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    M leicas have all been a vastly better investment than the R Leicas. An R4 sold new for nearly $2,000 and can now be had for $200 or so.

Leica M bodies hold value very well, relatively speaking. Certainly far better than anything else around, especially including digital cameras which have a rapid obscolescent technology depreciation factor.

Spend $1,000 on an M6 now, use it for five years, sell it for $1,000 if you take good care of it. I'd like to see any other camera on the market today do that.

18. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If they can sleep at night then it will be fair for both, whatever the number.

19. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Can somebody tell me why Leicaflex SL's are so much cheaper used than the rangefinder types? The rangefinder prices are nothing less than absurd.

20. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There aren't many high end rangefinder options out there. The market is flooded with several brands of fantastic SLR options - and plenty of bodies of each option.

I haven't handled a Leica SLR but my understanding is that the bodies are similar to other brands (or modifications/rebrandings of other bodies) while the lenses are still top shelf. As a result, the lens price is still high relative to the bodies.

21. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

actually, the SL models are more pricy than the later R varieties of leica slr -- the SL2, especially, is a tank, a wonderful user, the peak of SLR construction from Leica.

That said, they're still cheaper than the M leicas because the M series are pretty much unique these days in that they are still very usable, still supported, still have jobs that only they can do (quiet and precise) and are just really wonderful cameras to hold and use. Even the Leicaflex SL2 can't say that.

compared to what a cheap Digital SLR costs these days, what you pay for a Leica M series -- $700 to $2,000 -- is a relative bargain.

22. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    here in Germany you pay from about 900 € = 1100 $ to about 1200 € = 1500 $ for a M 6 0.72 body in very good condition if you buy it from a dealer with warranty. Of course special versions and editions are collectibles. M 6 0.85's are seldom and more expensive.

23. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the rundown.

0.72, 0.85's...What does this mean?

24. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I would want something super clean and not much signs of use.

I read how Hasselblad is halting support for one of its digital backs afetr 6 years. Do you think Leica will contiue to support these older cameras?

25. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  26. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    there are versions of the M 6 with different viewfinder magnifications. The standard is 0.72 x and has frames for 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135 mm, the 0.85 has a stronger magnification which is better suited for tele lenses and has no frame for 28 mm. In the following series also a 0,58 x magnification was introduced which is better for wide angles and not for tele lenses. The first M 3 had 0.92 x which was the most exact rangefinder, especially for 135 mm.