what is a good camera for the CV 90?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Donald Boyd, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was thinking used Ikon.

2. Alan9940

Alan9940 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't mention a budget range, but the Bessa R3 (A or M) would probably allow fairly accurate focus. In general, for 90mm focal length on a rangefinder the longer the base focal length, the better (more accurate) your ability to focus. If money is no object, how 'bout a .85 Leica M or a used Leica M3?

Good luck.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Never had a problem with any Voigtländer, so a fortiori, any other camera will be fine except perhaps the R4/R4A.

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What about a Bessa-T? Mine does great with a Jupiter-9 85mm f:2 - perfect focus wide open.

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Marcust101

Marcust101 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use one on an old and bashed M3, they fit well together, the high magnification rangefinder helps too

7. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Another vote for the Bessa (R2)

8. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For any longer then 50mm lenses M3 is probably the King. Focusing is so much easier and snappy then in any lower magnification cameras and that is the real asset for long lens wide open. I found my 90mm Elmarit is joy to focus on M3, much faster and clearer then on x0.72 M6. Having said that, x0.72 M6 aslo works fine and allows precise focusing even wide open with 90mm lens, albeit with probably some more effort on you eye during focusing.

9. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Andy, do you have any R3M examples which aren't shot at infinity? The problem is with focusing this lens on Bessas.

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donald, shot from about four feet or so.

Attached Files:

11. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the picture of the strange looking cat. So focusing this lens with a bessa isn't an issue as people claim?

12. Palantiri7

Palantiri7 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Never had a problem focusing the 90 on an original R Bessa.

13. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never had a problem focusing the 90. (or the 40 Nokton or the 50 Heliar)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The R2 will be able to handle this lens? $315 is a good price for the lens? Photo Village is to be trusted?

16. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine from Robert White. I have not used Photo Village.

The R2 (and all subsequent Bessas) has a Leica M mount. The 90mm Apo-Lanthar is a Leica screw mount. You will need a Voigtlander 28/90mm Screw to M adapter. Easily available.

17. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the review:
    Good: As with most (if not all) CV glass, a fair price for good quality brass & glass. Sharpness, including edge sharpness, is excellent and consistent throughout the aperture range. It's also the longest of the CV rangefinder lineup.

I agree.

Bad: Too long to look "cool" on a rangefinder. Also rather slow at f3.5. This leaves low light photography out unless you're into Delta 3200.

'Looking cool' is a bloody stupid way to rate a lens. 'Slow' is up to the photographer and what they require the lens for.

Ugly: Difficult to focus visually on rangefinders with a low magnification, such as the .6x viewfinder on my R2a. Also, focusing is inaccurate on RFs with a short baselength...like my R2a.

I use mine on an R3M with a 1:1 finder with no focusing problems.

So what kid of 'expert' rates a lens by how 'cool' it looks?

19. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good point. I'll have to stay away from that place and get my info here. That place is down half the time anyway.

Does it matter if I use the R2 instead of the R3M for this lens?

20. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it matters, the R2 has the 90mm frameline. You will still need a screw to M adapter though.

21. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the screw.

Andy, you seem to know a lot and you are very helpful. Thanks. One more question. B&H sells the Ikon for $879.00. Would you say this camera is worth it at that price or should I just stick with my Bessa R2.

22. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donald, as far as knowing a lot goes, that is debatable! I can only speak about the R3M and 90mm Apo-Lanthar as I own both, never having owned or used the Zeiss Ikon I could not advise about that camera.

23. DaveOttawa

DaveOttawa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use the CV 90 with CV Bessa R2; wide open & close I sometimes miss the focus especially if the subject is not static, because the lens is very sharp it can be quite obvious when it happens if you make an enlargement. I can't say if it's the best or if I'd have more success with another camera because I haven't tried any other bodies. But it is certainly usable, just posted a close/open image in my APUG gallery as an example.
    FWIW I have had good experience with several purchases from Cameraquest for CV stuff but I'm not saying there aren't other good dealers as well.

PS, re Coolness, I think mine looks arctic cool, it's silver chrome and I have the green R2, I like it and it looks different, needless to say (but I will anyway) this is a matter of taste...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  24. Ben 4

Ben 4 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check That Price Again

Donald,

The price you cite for the Ikon is for the superwide model, which entirely lacks a rangefinder. Probably not what you want for a 90!

25. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It didn't know that price was for the super wide body. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

26. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm glad.

Notice the word was in quotes? Guess the sarcasm was lost. Yes, 'slow' is up to the photographer. And yes, "slow" depends on what the photographer requires. In the first paragraph of the review I clearly state that the review is based on my personal usage of the lens. 1/8s-1/15s shutter speed in average indoor lighting using slightly pulled Tri-X at 90mm is "slow" for me. :rolleyes:

The R3A/M has a greater magnification and is slightly easier to focus then the lower-magnification R2A/M. I never said it was impossible, just difficult.

Are you using quotes to indicate sacracm? :wink: BTW, where did I ever say I was an expert? I'm an elementary ESL teacher. I just put a lot of film through my kit and like to share my experiences. I also have a few DIY adjustment/repair articles there...but I'm not a repair expert, either. I just tinker and shoot and share the results hoping that others will find them useful. That's the whole community point of places like there and here at APUG, right? There is no need for those that don't to shout "bloody stupid".