What is my Kodak 2-D case made of?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Loose Gravel, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I have a Kodak 2-D 8x10 in a black case/box. I'm curious about the material that the case is made of. It is like leather or rubber, revetted at the corners. Probably made in the 30s or 40s. I've had other things made of the same stuff. Can this material still be purchased? Seems like good stuff.

2. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vulcanite?

3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Vulcanite? Is that what is on Leicas? Can I buy it from Superman?

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, that would be Kryptonite.

A lot of older cases were made with Vulcanoid. A synthetic material, now out of fashion. Modern cases are made from resins or Fiberglass. The old cases seem to hold up quite well, though.

5. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Phototone, Thanks. I was hoping to buy some to make a case. Vulcanoid -- so I get this beamed down from Mr Spock. Figures. I didn't get any hits for the material on a quick google.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    try Vulcanite

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Vulcanite is hard rubber. Vulcanoid is perhaps a propriatery name for the material the cases were made from, but I don't think they were hard rubber. Vulcanite is the material Leica used as covering on their camera bodies. Vulcanoid is brand or type of material cases were made from.

8. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old case that my Korona, 8x10, came in is from around the early 1900's and it was made from what looks to be a very thick card board. Thicker than 8 ply mat board (more like 16 ply) and covered in cloth. Considering the age of the case and what it is made of it looks pretty good. I do not use it now, but have seen others like it - in fact I think that the Shen Hao 8x10 cameras can be ordered with a aluminum case that looks for all pratcial purpose like the old Korona case. Just have not found a source for them.

Would be interested to hear how your search works out LG, let me know if you get in touch with Spock...those Vulcans.