What is Selective Masking and what it can do

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Alan Ross, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Ross

Alan Ross Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is Selective Masking?
    What is Selective Masking – and what it can do for you!

Over the years I’ve (Alan Ross) evolved a technique I have come to refer to as Selective Masking. I use the term “selective” because it is a physical, hands-on method of tonal control in analog printing, rather that the photometric “unsharp masking”. In its basic form, it’s not techno-anything; it simply is a means of solidifying your own dodging and burning preferences into a “package” which remains absolutely constant from print to print. You can change your mind about how you want that package to perform; you can dodge and burn in greater detail than with traditional methods and with absolute consistency from print to print. It works with either a diffusion enlarger or in contact printing. It does NOT work with condenser enlargers.

Carried to the ’nth degree, Selective Masking can transform the job of printing a challenging negative from one of agonizing difficulty to the mere push of a button: a “straight” print from the untouched, unmodified original negative. Any size print. Local contrast changes can be made, and that oh-so-smooth gradual sky burn can be built into the mask package. It’s a technique I’d been sharing with friends and students for several years, and in 1999 I put the techniques on paper in the form of several articles published in ViewCamera Magazine. This 2010 series includes some updates to the original text and illustrations in Part I; Parts II and III have been completely rewritten.

For the CD and other materials see my Darkroom and Education Products page.

2. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So are you going to tell us what selective masking is or is this just advertising?

Let me guess - do it all in Photoshop and then print a digital neg for masking. If so, hardly analog.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wasn't this post deleted once already for SPAM?

4. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like blatant self promotion.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good, it's not "techno-anything" because I can't understand anything techno! Except of course techno music, which I love with a passion..... PSCYH!

(flagged for your moderator's pleasure)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.