What is the most archival process for photographic preservation.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by waynecrider, Jun 28, 2005.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am currently printing Ziatypes. I've read that they can have a pretty long life, something on the order of a Platinum print, (?) but considering the paper, I was wondering what the life could be? Everything seems to deteriorate eventually. If you were to create a picture to have the longest life possible, what would it be? Prerhaps a painting? They seem to stick around for quite a long time. But concerning photography, what is your archival process.

2. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For what I know, pt/pd on a good quality paper is top. What do you mean, "considering the paper" ? I guess that the papers used for those prints are strong and stable and will not deteriorate in the next 1000 years... unless you store them in a very, very strange place...

3. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As you say it all depends on the paper and how well it was processed. Some pt/pd are yellowing out because they were cleared with Hydrochloric acid and were not properly washed, this was back in the early days of pt/pd. With modern day methods, a pt/pd print will last as long as the paper is intact, the image will not fade or break down. Ziatypes should last just as long, pd is a noble metal and if processed well, it should have the same longevity as a pt/pd print.

Another process that has long life it carbon printing (no, I dont mean ink jet prints), but care most be taken that non contaminated gelatin is used.

4. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How about a cave drawing? Thousands of years and still going strong.

Photographically, I think Pt/Pd on good rag paper is probably the most archival.

The real question is whether or not the image is worthy of such a long life...

5. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say the Daguerrotype since you are dealing with metals and no organic support.

6. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cave drawings might be the best. I did see a travel show last week or so that showed cave drawings in France I believe, that were really old. In that case, how much ARE caves nowdays?

What processes are you guys using? Hypo clearing and selenium?

7. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Daguerreotypes, no, they are silver on copper. Both are fugitive metals. They may have a little less longevity than that of a silver print.

The Platinotype is bonded to the paper. We have papers over 1500 years. I would say the pt/pd processes are your best bet.

9. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing that is going to effect a Daguerreotype is hydrogen sulfide, as it would any silver image even one on paper. But with paper you must also deal with mold, mildew, book worm, silverfish, ...

10. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How are those 1500 year old papers being stored?

11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tens of thousands of years for paintings done with hematite or carbon pigments on dry walls of caves.

12. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen and heard of photos done on tile and fired with a glaze. That comes about as close to permanent as I can think of. When I figure out how to do it I'll write up something on it, one of my slow moving projects.

13. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I can't believe you guys skipped the obvious: mosaics made of naturally occurring stones. And I hear that Epson is coming out with a spray that will protect them even further.

Seriously, your Ziatypes will last a long time.