what is the point of extra roll film inserts

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rbrigham, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rbrigham

rbrigham Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi

I've Just been offered some
    Contax insets and was wondering what the point is

the person with them has no idea what they even are

Is the idea of it just to make changing a back slightly quicker

regards

robin

2. rbrigham

rbrigham Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Should of said fuji gx680 not contax

they have a box but it looks like you can't put it in the box with film on it which seems very strange

robin

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Roll film inserts or roll film backs? Pre-loaded inserts save time; film backs allow mid-roll film type swaps and/or save even more time than pre-loaded inserts. That's how it works for me.

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thought the 680 used film backs with inserts, no?

5. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a GX680 Mk2 with 3 6x8 backs and a 6x7 back, I also have a number of inserts that come in green boxes. I have not used them as yet but they are able to be preloaded with film to save time when on a shoot. If you come to the end of a film and you are shooting a session you do not have to mess around with trying to reload if you have already preloaded inserts, just take the insert out and refit the loaded one.

Not all MF cameras allow this, Hasselblad V system backs are matched to their insert and it is not recomended that they are mismatched, Mamiya 645 Cameras used to only have spare inserts, the back was unable to be removed.

6. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yup, what he said. I was going to get a few inserts for my RZ, just to have around for larger shoots, but for $10 more I can buy a complete back.

Edited to add: They are also handy is you own a Mamiya M645, or a similar camera that doesn't offer interchangeable backs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pre loaded inserts are really handy for quick film changes on a Pentax 645.

8. eSPhotos

eSPhotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, saving time.
    I have Mamiya 645 Pro and 3 backs and 6 inserts. Very handy when you shoot on the run.

9. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah.. but serial #'s won't match if you are using the Squared Swede!

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not only quick changes, but they are lighter and more compact than backs, so if you're shooting a lot of the same type of film and need to change quickly, it can be advantageous to have spare inserts.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Their biggest advantage shows itself when you have an assistant to load them for you :smile:.

The inserts for the RB67 aren't as much help as some, because with their incorporated winder and counter really they have almost as much weight and bulk as an entire back.

The inserts for the Mamiya 645 are light, small and very quick to switch into and out of the backs. With matched plastic containers (also small and light) they allow you to pre-load a bunch of rolls and have them ready for quick use.

It can really help to have the exposed roll on an insert separate from the camera, because it allows you to separate the processes of sealing an exposed roll and continuing to shoot the next (note comment above about assistants).

One final point - if something goes wrong with a Mamiya 645 back/insert combination, like as not it is the insert that has the problem. Replacement inserts are easily swapped in, and relatively cheap.

12. rbrigham

rbrigham Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    thanks for all the replies

specific to the fuji gx680

looking at the storage box it looks like you can't store an insert
    loaded

can anybody confirm either way

thanks

robin

13. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the box 'Green Cardboard' or 'Dark Grey Plastic'

If Green Carboard it is for the original MkI and MkII backs and there is no problem having the film loaded (see image below)

If the plastic box then that is for the newer IIIN backs and as the backs were multi-format (via a masking system) and could also be used for 120 or 220 by changing the insert and the box was designed only for storage, not as a means of having film pre-loaded. A newer IIIN back comes with a pair of inserts one for 120 film one for 220 film and you used the insert required at the time.

The older backs were format and film size dependant so you could buy a back for 120, 220 film and 6x7 as well as 6x8 format (I have a 6x7 as well as x3 6x8 backs) but as far as I know the 120 inserts can be used in any (pre IIIN) 120 back.

Green Boxed insert with Tri X pre-loaded

[​IMG]

14. rbrigham

rbrigham Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi ed

Thanks for the detail description

It's a mk3 insert in the plastic box

Dose look like you can't pre load as there are plastic vanes in the box that would get in the way

I could always cut them out I suppose but seems strange that they are limited in this way

Robin