What is this 8x10 lens?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom1956, May 29, 2013.

1. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ILE...87810118?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35c7f24546

If this ebay link is working, can anybody tell me what an Ilex 12 3/4 inch medium angle lens is? Is this a lens for an 11x14 camera? Because 12 3/4 inch sounds about right for a normal lens on an 8x10. I am looking for a lens for my 8x10, and I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel with my budget, to achieve that. Why is this called a "medium wide angle lens"? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  2. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I googled it and couldn't find anything. You could contact the Seller and ask what the image circle is but he sounds like he doesn't know much. You are right that it would be a normal focal length for 8x10. If it covers 11x14 it would be a medium wide or slightly wide lens.

I don't know how low your budget is but I purchased my Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 lens in an accurate Copal shutter off Ebay for a little less than $300.00 including shipping. These come up occasionally on Ebay for around the same price. Just make sure you get the f/6.7 lens because it has plenty of coverage for 8x10 with movements.

I know I'm talking more money but I can bet you this shutter will need a CLA. By the time you are done with it you are approaching the cost of a much better lens in a much better shutter.

Good luck to you!

3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks. I'll be doing my own CLA.

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilex_2.html p. 6, and the table doesn't include a 12 3/4 incher. Also see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilex_2.html , which explains the name and also doesn't include a 12 3/4 incher.

Re the second lens, wander over to http://www.cameraeccentric.com and look for yourself.

I wouldn't buy either so any advice I give should be very suspect, but if the f/6.3er is a tessar type it seems a more attactive proposition as a normal lens for 8x10 than the medium w/a.

6. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    WhoA. That thing, if it delivers like the others, would have HUGE coverage. This is interesting. However, it looks like there's some kind of "bubble" separation going on there. At first glance it looked like reflections of trees or something, but there's those telltale separation "soap bubbles". I got a lens with this kind of separation and sent it right back to the junk dealer! Too bad. this would have been a nice gamble, but with that kind of crap going on, forget it. Of course if you're one of those that sells lenses like this, then you know that you'll advertise it as "you won't notice a difference".

7. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're a bottom feeder, you take chances. They may be worth the money, they may not. The question I'd ask myself (a dedicated bottom feeder) is whether I think I could salvage the shutters or get a particularly interesting image with them. If you want high quality, sharp images in this process, you either have to pony up for a tried and true lens/shutter combination, go with barrel lenses and a packard shutter or keep taking chances on what-the-hell-is-this kind of ebay buys until you get lucky.

I go the barrel lens/packard route myself, most of the time. There are lots of good lenses out there that do not easily (cheaply) fit any shutter. If you can live with 1/20 of a second as your fastest shutter speed, you're good to go.

8. M Stat

M Stat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Considering the widest aperture is f16, you would probably be better off with a pin hole (cheaper too).

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have the same shutter in an ilex semenat ... it "works" but it isn't one i would trust. as whitey
    suggests you might get lucky ... i got a wolly EXWA years ago in a teensy
    alphax shutter its max app. was f12 ... and was a great lens ...

10. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting lens. Since the catalog shows a rimset shutter and the one on eBay is in a dialset, I'd guess the one for sale is earlier---they probably shuffled the available focal lengths around a bit over the years. (The catalog seems to be from the 1920s, since it describes Ilex as having been founded "over a decade ago".)

Someone on LFF speculated that these might be derivatives of the Protar, based on the maximum aperture. I've got a Gundlach Radar XWA that's also f/16 and might be a similar design, and it's a very nice lens---focussing at f/16 is a challenge in anything short of full sun, though.

That separation does look pretty scary. I'd probably pass on it myself.

-NT

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Separation? What are you talking about? I see the reflection of a houseplant, or an artificial plant, in a wicker basket.

12. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
  13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I can't read it either and the guy won't answer my question. All he would say is that it came off an 8x10. That doesn't mean anything. Al ot of wrong lenses were mounted on view camera by people who didn't know better.

15. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    He probably has no clue what it is. Of course I didn't have much of an idea either! :D

16. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilex says it is for 8x12. Reading between their lines, it is a tessar type.

Go root around on the cameraeccentric site and educate yourself a little. If you knew more you wouldn't have to be so suspicious.

17. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The second one is much newer, and a good facsimile of the Kodak Commercial Ektar. The f16 one is an oddball in a balky shutter. Copy of Protar IV perhaps??

18. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks. I did my due diligence. That's why I'm here asking. This site has trustworthy people for the large part. I see certain names next to posts, many are familiar now, and I trust their input.

19. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The frivolous/off-topic responses in this and many other discussions on APUG suggest otherwise.

20. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format