What is this? Extendable front standard thingy?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Punkinhed7, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Punkinhed7

Punkinhed7 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any help identifying the camera this piece came from and what new use I might (easily) put it to would be greatly appreciated. Cant find any markings on it anywhere. Thanks : )

Attached Files:

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a variable length extension tube. Its rear plate attaches to the camera's front standard like a lens board, its front plate accepts a lens on a board. The variable length gives one more way to focus.

I can't be sure, but the little voice in the back of my mind keeps muttering that it was made for the Polaroid MP-3.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would convert the apt LF lenses into focusable barrel versions to be mounted on a MF body by means of the apt adapter ring modification. Something for the mechanical inclined..

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Dan and it could be very useful if you have a camera it fits, great for long FL lenses or maybe macro work - it's purpose if for Polaroid MP-3

Ian

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd tend to go with Ian i that it's an adapter for long lenses on a camera with a short bellows.

Did the Polaroid take what looks like a 4X4(ish) board?

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope, its for a Polaroid MP-3, a specialized copy/macro camera. And its for use with relatively short lenses. Go here http://www.butkus.org/chinon/polaroid.htm and click on Polaroid lenses for MP-3 to see Tominon lenses offered for the MP-3 and an explanation of the device the OP wants to know about. The manual is quite a late one, lenses originally offered for the MP-3 were from Rodenstock.

7. Punkinhed7

Punkinhed7 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.