What is this?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Worker 11811, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a "Whatzit" for you...

[​IMG]

It came in the box with the second hand Omega D-II enlarger I got from my uncle.

I thought it was a negative holder but, when I was packing things up to put them in my car, I really didn't spend too much time thinking about it. I was more worried about packing things up and getting them home without breaking anything.

It wasn't until I got everything home and started sorting it all out that I gave it a second thought. It certainly seems like some kind of negative holder but it doesn't fit the stage on the Omega enlarger.

Anybody have any ideas?

T.I.A. :smile:

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a negative carrier. But not, as you discovered, for an Omega.
    It's not anything I recognize as an Omega enlarger piece.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might help to post the cut-out dimensions, and the over-all dimensions. Looks like some sort of home made carrier for 6x12 of something of that ilk.

How about phoning the uncle and asking him what it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My guess: 56 x 92 mm. :wink:

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

It looks like it was manufactured. The edges are all cut cleanly. It looks like the pieces were punched out. (One side of the edgs is slightly rounded.) The tabs on the top appear to be formed on a press. Probably as it was punched. (Not made on a brake.)

Both halves are identical and their tabs are located mirror image off the center so they nest together perfectly.

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, the cut-out matches my 2-1/4x3-1/4 negative carrier for my Omega, but the over-all dimension doesn't match, but might work(maybe).

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those tabs won't work on an Omega D negative stage, but it looks like an adapter for some kind of 4x5" carrier for 6x8cm. I thought it might fit in the Omega Distortion Correction Attachment (tilting neg stage), but it doesn't have the holes in the right places.

On the other hand, it could be a mask for another Omega D carrier that doesn't have to go all the way in. Like maybe if you have the rectangular 6x9 carrier, this one could fit between the two halves with the tabs sticking out the front of the carrier.

8. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I thought it was. Some kind of mask or adapter plate. But you are right. It won't fit in the Omega D enlarger. I tried it.

I figured it somehow sandwiched in there but I don't see any way that it will fit. There are no index marks or lugs to positively align it with anything.

It might be a negative carrier for some other model of enlarger and this thing just hitched a ride.