What is Wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MenacingTourist, Jun 27, 2005.

1. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So I've been doing a little bit of 4x5 work and am feeling pretty good about the direction I'm going. Then, on Ebay I somehow find a 5x7 Kokak Century No. 2 grouped in with a couple of other 1900's folders and a weston meter that no one is bidding on. I put in my snipe bid and now I have a 5x7. I wasn't planning on shooting 5x7 but my hell it was so cheap! What was I supposed to do? Now I have to buy a lens and film holders. I'll probably be sending SatinSnow an email soon...

I'm blaming Per and all his talk about restoring his B&J. I think Jim Galli is somewhat to blame and Aggie is totally at fault as well. Hmmm...guess I'll have to include Sean with the guilty parties. If my wife finds out I'm naming names. But since I'm having it shipped to work you guys might be off the hook :smile:

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    5x7 is the one true format. All others are the work of the devil. :D Have you received the secret decoder ring yet?

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How can Aggie be totally at fault and others too? Is there an over-abundance of fault to go around?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2005
  4. mikeb_z5

mikeb_z5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There's nothing wrong with you, It's everyone else!

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HEHEHE welcome to the dark cloth side!

6. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Next time you wife comes home with a new hand bag and pair of shoes and gives you the whole schpleel about what a great sale and how much she saved, yada, yada, yada...just remember this moment and enjoy.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it called gearitice and there is no known cure, it is one of those illnesses that are a fact of life, and you have to learn to live with! LOL

Dave

8. mark

mark Member

I love my 5x7. You might want to check and see if the lens you have on the 4x5 will cover 5x7. I was surprised to find that two of the lenses I have for my 4x5 do infact cover 5x7. SO what if there is no room to move.

Shouldn't you be thanking those folks. I mean they could have gotten you addicted to crack or something. Which, as you should explain to your wife, is a much more destructive habit. :smile:

Don't forget you will need to grab a few film holders too and more film. May I suggest JandC as well as ebay (which you know about) for all of your addiction satisfying cravings.

9. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I predict in 6 months you won't be able to even find the 5X7 as it will be lost under heaps of 8X10 film holders boxes and gear:~')

Meanwhile, have I got a lens deal for you..........:D

10. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me thinks he's correct...my 4x5 morphed into a 5x7 last year...and now it is morphing into a 8x10 that should arrive by the end of the week...Oh My!! Placed a film order last night for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10...don't know what those little rolls were on JandC, seems like they go in those almost forgotten cameras stored in the closet... :sad:

Maybe I need to take them out and tell them they are not forgotten.

11. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Menace,

Congratulations on your 5x7! Now you can seriously lament the passing a AZO as you've now breached the ramparts of the contact printer's fortress (at least until you add a 5x7 enlarger!) Heck of a lot of fun! Good training for that 12x20 you'll be looking for before too long!

Cheers!

12. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the condolences and support. I feel better now :smile: And now that you mention it, contact printing DOES sound like fun...

13. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gonna blame that one on me too? Hope you enjoy the 5x7 contact printing frame I sent you a couple of weeks back. Now what other things can I get him started on????

14. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah Ha! Premeditation. Guilty in the eyes of the law...

At least I'll admit I was looking for a 5x7. I found one and his name is Grover.

tim in san jose

15. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes. Yes I will.
    The really beat up frame got dismantled and is on the shop table waiting to be repaired. The other one just needed a little de-stinkyfication and a new coat of wipe on finish. Both need felt (thanks for sending that as well).

Send me the link to your brass supplier again will you?

Alan.

16. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Come on, ya'll know that 5x7 is just "a transitional format". :D

Be sure you let us know when you get your first 8x10!

17. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hee hee heee....remember just 8 months ago you were without any LF and were the token sherpa boy for our zion group...that's how it starts...I even bought another 4x5 last night...something must be in the air.

18. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there,

"Come on, ya'll know that 5x7 is just "a transitional format"."

Actually, it's the PERFECT format, twice the size of 4x5 and half the weight of 8x10. Nice portrait ratio too. Now if you can find a 300mm Heliar and do it right, the wife will LOVE it.

Congrats on the 5X7

19. Jim_in_Kyiv

Jim_in_Kyiv Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Just wait until you get the enlarger! Contact prints are very cool, but contact frames can't be used as replica antique hairdriers, bells or searchlights.

20. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That Zion trip was good times. Chasing the sunset and climbing on top of a big rock overlooking the valley....Yup, good times.

21. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tooke the easy way out - I started with 5x7". Then branched out into 4x5" and 9x12cm, next was 18x24cm, changed my 5x7", got a 6.5x9cm, then 8x10". Now I'm trying to stop myself from buying a 30x40cm (12x16") camera...

22. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole

Resistance is futile......

Phill

23. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well I started out with n instamatic in the very early 60's and have been going up since then. LF started with 4x5, and I sort took a big leap and will this next week get my Jim Chinn camera in Santa Fe just in time to show those at APIS, Jims new camera. So got you beat Ole, 4x5 to 11x14. Now if I was any good at either format is a big question.

BTW Alan, I swing by your place on the way home, so you will have to try and resist going larger again, due to my influence! hehehehehehe