What is your favorite photography book?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by roteague, Aug 8, 2004.

1. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I find that there are certain books that I keep coming back to because they either inspire me or stimulate my creative juices. At the moment the books I go back to most are: "Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga and "Light and the Art of Landscape Photography" by Joe Cornish (sold under a different name in the UK I think). I take these two books wherever I travel.

I would be interested in knowing what your favorites are and why.

Thanks,

2. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will never be without Les Mclean's "Creative Black & White Photography" (a shameless plug for our fellow APUG member - but it truly is a wonderful book).

And I find myself returning again and again to "Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography." It makes me want to load the camera with some Velvia and hike/climb into some faraway places. Then again, I'm waiting for a pizza to be delivered.

I also enjoy "Avedon At Work in the American West" by Laura Wilson - it's like getting a chance to peek over his shoulder while he creates some of his famous portraits.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  3. Andre R. de Avillez

Andre R. de Avillez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my favorite books is a collection of Pierre Fatumbi Verger's work. I bought this book after seeing a show of over 800 of his photos (yeah, 800... it was more than I could bear). The guy's sense of geometry (in the 6x6 format) is truly amazing.

Another favorite is a collection of Eugene Smith's work.

I have a small book of André Kertez that I also really like....

4. Andre R. de Avillez

Andre R. de Avillez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, and then there's André Cypriano's O Caldeirão do Diabo or "The Devil's Caldron", which is a great work in documentary photography, shot in a maximum security prision in Brazil before it was shut down. Very strong work.

I think I have a thing for photographer's with the same name as myself... how shameless!

5. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I second the vote on Les McLean's Creative Black and White Photography.
    I have a second one in mind as well, but I cannot as readily recall the photographer. I return to these two books again and again.
    Rusty Tripod

6. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jeanloup Sieff and Cyclpops By Albert Watson. Both very different shooters with different approaches with great results. And 100% comfortable in they're own skin.

7. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah yes Sieff!

For me at the moment - Salgado's Migrations.

8. Mark H

Mark H Member

For technical and aesthetic info, I keep returning to "Creative Elements" by Eddie Ephraums. For inspiration and a humbling reminder of what black-and-white printing can look like, Brett Weston's "A Personal Selection" is a favorite.
    I recently purchased "Japan" by Michael Kenna. The photographs are very nice, but it's the elegant design of the book (enclosed in a silk-covered slip-case) that adds to the experience of looking at the photographs.
    --Mark

9. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just picked up "Still Life and Special Effects Photography" by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. It's a collection of studio photos from over 40 artists and how they set them up.
    Personal favourites? Which ever book I have in my hand at the time, I don't own very many...

10. John_Brewer

John_Brewer Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Lee Miller: Portraits From A Life, is my latest aquisition. Just love Man Ray stuff too. And Thomas S how long 'til the book?

11. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the moment it's "Ansel Adams at 100". The reproductions are superb, but the best part is the writing by John Szarkowsky (sp?). It's historical, insightful and refreshingly critical. "Edward Weston, Life's Work" may join it as co-favorites if it's as well written as the Adams book, but I've not had time to read it yet.

12. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    • Chas Ray Krider "Motel Fetish" is a wonderful fetish book filled with creative poses and simple yet effective lighting, mostly using table lamps.
    • David Bailey - "If We Shadows". Full of nice B/W photos
    • "Photographing people - Portrait, Fashion and Glamour". Great book iwth lots of photos with notes on camera, exposure, techniques, ligthing and anything else related to the shot.
    • All of my Eric Kroll stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  13. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Should come as no surprise - mine is "The Artist's Way", by Julia Cameron. Not really a "photography" book - but the most useful *I've* ever found for doing photography.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, it all depends. My favorite reference books for process are "Controls in B&W photography" by Richard J. Henry and "Developing" by Jacobson & Jacobson.

If I could only keep one book on printing it would definitely be the "Master printer's course" by Dr. Rudman.

Of course on testing and developing, the BTZS would be my choice.

For picture viewing, Paul Caponigro's "Masterworks from forty years"

16. ThomHarrop

ThomHarrop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography by Bryan Peterson
    Book has some great ideas for making images simple. Has a lot of head to head comparisons so you can see exactly what he is trying to explain.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the moment I would have to say the new Edward Weston book from Lodima Press and the Tuscany series (volumes I & II) from Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee. Why? Because they're my newest books and I still haven't flipped all the way through all of them yet!

18. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you get the print(s) with the Tuscany series as well?

19. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Koudelka EXILES

20. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    At the moment I'm reading Willi Beutler's "Meine Dunkelkammer-Praxis" from 1954, alternating with Hans Windisch' "Die neue Foto-Schule", 1941 edition.

In a few days I'll receive my book of Jan Sudek's images of Prauge...

21. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alas, no, I'm a poor student and the books alone killed my book budget for just about the rest of the year :sad:

Great books, though, I especially recommend Paula's book. She has some wonderful stuff that I really enjoy.

22. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen the ads for this series in B&W magazine. The images (in the ad) look excellent. They are still offering prints with them.
    I was (am) considering, but like you, have a limited budget. :sad:

23. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fro technique I always return to the Ansel Adams books, and as of late to the Rudman books

For inspiration, Helmut Newton, Sieff, Anhalzer

24. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the print Paula has in the B&W magazine add for the books. It is wonderful!

25. mark

mark Member

The Tao of Pooh
    Feeman Patterson's books
    Adam's the negative (the original is all I have)

26. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't really answer this question. Every time I think of a book as my favorite, three more come to mind that are just as important to me. I just went to my main photography bookcase and stood there shaking my head. There's just too many great books.