what is your latest project, or one that you hope to work on

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by jnanian, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    do you have a project you are working on ?
    do you have a project you want to work on, but aren't ?

i have a few projects i have been working on sporadically ...
    light and shadow ( kind of basic )
    "glimpses"
    photograms ( kind of basic )
    paper negative portraits
    portraits of strangers, or shopkeepers / people at work / clerks

one of these days i will start
    "people of the cloth"
    ... portraits of tailors, seamstresses, dry cleaners, laundromat workers, ministers and priests ...
    hopefully all 5x7, maybe 8x10 camerawork ....

what's your project ?

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A project starting this week: a series for a wood compagny photographing his products and after that photographing his factory.

After that it will be quiet for a little while.... travel back to Europe and doing some camera repairs and restauration and building for my self, getting back into LF again after 2 years, testing my new Shen Hao, do some 8x10.

Peter

3. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The local camera club is having an exhibit in September under the "abstract" theme, so I'm trying to devote some effort to shooting prospective material for that.

I'm supposed to have my own little exhibition in October, but I'm still rather stalled on a cohesive theme.

4. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Current project; 8x10 paper neg/contact prints of our island artists

5. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A project I've been working on for over a year: portraits of people in various groups, especially non-profits. I've shot portraits at a senior center, a homeless center, and a school for disabled artists. Last week it was a rugby team in New Zealand.

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Oh, I like this. What a wonderful range of comparison and contrast you can introduce into this. Very nice idea.

John Powers

7. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have worked 2.5 years on a 7x17 contact print series showing the OH & Erie Canal as it is today evolving from a trash heap to a recreational area. Thirty of the one hundred ten prints are in the Cleveland Historical Society or history museum of Cleveland on what after ten months is becoming a long term loan. The series has been presented for publication, but that has bogged down.

Moved by the Texas Church project I am starting an 8x10 series of Places of Worship, small rural buildings in my area. I am refining the idea. At this stage it includes small 19th Century buildings, churches, mausoleums, more recent temples, and even a future church building sign in a corn field. I have found a bit of whimsy that is adding to the fun. I will probably print B&W in 16x20 or 20x24. If it continues to be fun as it evolves, it too may be a multi year project.

John Powers

8. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

The answer is "yes". ~gulp~ Here's how the director of the gallery describes it:

"During the months of August and September, 2009, the Hiddenite Center's Lucas Mansion Gallery will feature the photographic work of Alexander County photographers, Janet Gable Cull and E. Scott Little. For the past two years, they have put together a picture of the traditional face of Alexander County that features people, places, practices, and recurring themes that make up the image that is unique to Alexander County. Although Janet is Scott's mother-in-law (and I add, how cool is that??), their direction as photographers was well underway before they legally became family. Scott's forte is in photographing landscapes and places, while Janet's love is portraiture in capturing people in their own environment..." (reception Sunday, August 23, 3-4:30 in the Lucas Mansion Gallery)

He has a way with words. I hope the work measures up. (And when does the confidence come???)

9. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No printing but matting and framing for a month or so. Just moved and Aaron Brothers had a sale on "buy one frame and get next for .1 penny". Just ordered some 20x24 matts from LightImpressions. I need to dust off my rusty Logan matting skills :smile:

10. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I'm currently working on a whole plate book project along with several other photographers. Our work appeared in the May/June issue of View Camera magazine and I'm not sure when the book project is going to be completed.

I am thinking of getting a portfolio of images together from this project to submit to LensWork magazine. :surprised: :D

It would be nice to get some pt/pd prints made from these images too.

11. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Good for you... go Diane! I'll be watching.

12. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Diane, I'm working on the whole plate book project. I'm doing night scenes of my neighborhood. I got about half what I'm looking for for the project shot, and exhibited them earlier this summer. Now I need to get the rest shot. I have a significant private commission which has to take priority #1. I'm also always working on my nudes, but I've had a bit of a creative blockage with the "Human Commodities" series I was shooting.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ugh! Going public is a bit scary. Portraits of interesting men that give a glimpse of what makes them interesting. Although most are interesting looking people, what makes them interesting to me is what attracts their interest. My expectation in of doing this with my Diana +, although it might evolve to include other tools. OK, so lets say a portfolio of 20-25. Bill Barber

16. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

>>>Ugh! Going public is a bit scary.

Bill, I agree.

17. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My current project is fairly small but I have been preparing for it for going on a year and it is what has given me a love for film. I have been a digital shooter for some time and was finding myself wanting to explore more. I always wanted to "really" try film.

My wife is a scapebooker and I got the inspiration to do a project photographing all my kids grandparents and great-grandparents(all that are still with us) and have my wife make a scrapbook with them. Then it seemed to really honor these people I should use a medium that is more representative of the times they lived. So film was the answer....B&W that is.

I started to buy some and try it out with the cameras that I had (35mm). It just did not cut it for me so I decided I needed to try Medium format. Long story short, I have settled on a Mamiya RB67 and develop the film myself. I have been working to learn the different films and developers and deciding just the right combo. I have settled on Pan F with DD-X. It looks like I may also do some Tri-X 320 in HC-110(B).

So now its just time to set up the sessions with the folks and go shooting...before its to late...

Now, with the end of Kodachrome and inspired by the song by Jamey Johnson, "Should have seen it in color", I have decided to also shoot with Kodachrome 64. I received two rolls from B&H last week so I am all set...just got to make the time.

Now I may expand the project to other people important to me. The project will not be complete until I build a dark room and print the photos myself for the scrapbook, but for now I just need to get the images captured on film...the printing can come later.

Jason

19. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm from a very rural area and have been thinking of a project of environmental portraits of local individuals. I'd love to shoot them in square with my Mamiya 6 in a not so much "studio" atmosphere, but something more casual. The reason I've been putting it off is that this project is the total opposite of my normal subject matter. I'm not super familiar with casual and environmental portraiture or photographing people at all. One of these days I'll shoot my first portrait... hopefully!

20. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Michael,

Just had a look at your Great Lake website - superb work, truly excellent.

Best wishes,
    Gavin

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finished a album from pictures taken at Joshua Trees rock climbing expedition with my daughters friends,add a few of those to a portfolio I'm putting together. Then heading up to Oregon to visit Ma&Pa and hopefully have time to go to Jedediah Smith Park area to get more pictures for portfolio and finish it .

Mike

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good question...

To tell you the truth, I have a bunch of projects that are still "in the can". One of them was shot almost two years ago; over 200 pieces of 4x5 film, mostly T64, but some NPS and a few stray sheets of whatever I could muster up, including some 64T and Velvia. Another was shot in January and February. I have some rolls of film older than that that I need to develop one of these days, though they weren't a part of any particular project.

There is one project that I started, but aborted at an early stage because it was not working out in large format. I decided to start over in 35mm instead. 35mm was my original intention anyhow. I just tried to force it to fit the requirements of a large format class, because I couldn't come up with any other ideas at the time. I'll likely get around to that as soon as we get some crystal clear days here (pretty rare for us to have a perfectly clear day in L.A.)

My main ongoing projects are pretty general, and geared toward presentation in a book. I shoot a lot all the time. People in bars, on the street, etc. With that kind of stuff, I hope to get a single worthy pic out of each roll, on average, and be able to collect them some day into some sort of work that ties them all together in an appropriate way. I shoot mostly 35 for this, and have used digital as well (Canon 10D/50mm 1.2).

I also always shoot on road trips, which are my favorite activity. I will usually choose to focus on either landscapes/cityscapes on a trip, or on shooting people and "found" scenes and objects along the way. For the former, I usually use medium format color, and for the latter, I usually use black and white 35mm.

I will be making a book out of my pix from my 7,615-mile trip to the inauguration in January.

Here is the likely cover shot: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3764348067_f444a3698e_o.jpg

Titled "Acknowledged Reset", as the book may be.

It was actually shot before the trip, here in L.A., and on a digital camera, but it will fit perfectly with the book. I also like that is was shot on New Year's Day 2009.

If I find a better shot once I develop the 50 more rolls of HP5 that I have, I'll get rid of this sacrilegious one. :wink:

I also used to shoot news a lot...but not so much any more, at least not with publication in a news rag in mind. The last big events I shot were the Griffith Park fire and the Tea Fire, and I shot them how I felt like shooting them, without the aim to simply tell the story objectively. I simply used the situation as a unique landscape, I guess you'd say. I also shot the Motown Studio Museum in Detroit the night Michael Jackson died. I am attracted like a fly to situations where I can get crazy pix of emotive people and surreal situations and landscapes like fires.

Here are some Tea Fire pix (CVS scans): http://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378@N05/sets/72157621746162333/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  23. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Flying Camera reminded me: I am also working on a commission. It was commissioned by someone who wanted to buy a very personal piece that was not for sale...so I am doing a similar thing, but specifically for her. She offered to buy it for a dollar and a kiss...I told her she could kiss my ass, and I would just make her one. Ha! It is an alt. process/gelatin silver distorted panorama from in front of the house where I grew up, made from 35mm contact prints, weathered, battered, stained, and covered in dried flowers that remind me of my childhood growing up in Los Angeles (bougainvillea and oleander).

So, I happened to be going through her home town of Omaha on the way to Detroit (also my grandmother's home town), and did the same for her childhood home. I shot on a mix of color and b/w, and was a little more sloppy with the overlapping of the tiles. I also made it more panoramic than mine (made the 360 five times instead of eight). We'll see what happens! I also need to track down lilac, lilly of the valley, and hyacinth flowers to finish it.

I like commissions a lot. They make me more focused and quick. This it the third one I have done after not being able to sell what was on the wall due to the fact that I made it for myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  24. OMU

OMU Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have launched a project were I am planning to photograph people of my small village that has worked here for a “lifetime”.

I have photographed the priest that has worked in the community for more than 25 years.

The next one is a retired doctor. He was alone as a doctor here for many, many years. Serving people night and day, summer and winter.

I have also made an appointment with the former conductor of the school band. For a life time he was educating children to play their instruments, without other payment than the pleasure of teaching the children.

To me it’s a combination to have a challenging project and a way of honoring their work.

25. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well,

I have one project in my head - to find bunch of small used toys (something like 2cm and smaller metal soldiers or similar, but it must be old and used :smile: ), and make some kind of micro photos ... For start I both nikkor micro 55/3.5, now looking for toys ...

26. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd really love to do something on Great Barrier Island. Our aero club has property there and with summer coming up I'll be doing a lot more flying hopefully, and there is motivation for me to get up there and shoot the place. Last time I visited my photos were a disaster - Velvia on a bright overcast day with no filters = blown out mess. It's 5 hours by car + boat from here or 50 minutes by Cessna. Guess which one I'm taking :smile: