What is your most used filter?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by mikeb_z5, Aug 17, 2004.

1. mikeb_z5

mikeb_z5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    While browsing some of the images here I saw very few photos that included information on filtration used during exposure. so the questions are:

1. What is your most used filter? For what effect?
    2. any examples in your portfolio(or gallery) we can see?

As a relative newcomer here and to photography in general I am often unsure on what filters I should purchase and/or use.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
    Mike

2. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I do use a filter (very rarely these days), my faves are an orange to push the contrast up and get some good sky detail in the weedy English light and a yellow/green to get some differentiation in foliage tones- i use them both equally. Saying that, I proabably use a homemade diffusion filter to pre-expose film in high SBRs more than any other.

When i used to take more colour transparency shots, my fave was a ND grad

3. sparx

sparx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always have an orange or red filter attached behind a UV. No reason other than I like the results. Sometimes use a polariser or a ND or coloured grad if i'm trying to get exposure times up or balance bright sky/dark ground etc.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    1.5 stop yellow filter for B&W in one form or another.

5. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    40 or 70cc m
    ND Grad
    Tungsten
    florescent

6. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mike!
    I'm pretty new to photography, and I bought a red (#25) and Orange (YA3) filter after reading about how these do interesting things to clouds and sky. I also have a polarizing filter, but an still experimenting with that one!

I keep a UV filter on my camera all the time and put the other filter over the top when I use them. I have found that I really like how the orange filter exaggerates the clouds in the sky without darking the foliage too much. I want to buy a green filter, too. I've read that it will wash out the green in some foliage and make it look "IRish" hmm... "IR-ish" (not Irish! haha :D) .

I have two pics in the Critique Gallery that were shot using an Orange filter. Hope this helps some! It's been really fun experimenting with the filters!
    Jeanette

7. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    orange (and definatly red) can be a bit intrusive. I'd kick off with a yellow and consider building from that.

I got some really nice (at least technically) outdoor portrait shots recently with yellow/green - I'll defintaly be trying that more in future.

Ian

8. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care for the effects of the darker filters, so for B&W I use mostly K-2 and occasionally K-3 (I think that's #6 and #8 in the newer terminology).
    juan

9. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here in NM, i never take off the light yellow filter. It adds just enough punch and doesn't over do the sky.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Without a doubt; a 1 or 2 stop ND Grad (I use it almost daily) and either a warm polarizer or an 81A. Of course, I primarily do color. When doing B&W I am currently only using a yellow filter - plus the ND Grads.

11. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably #6 or #9 would be the most used. #25 wouldn't be too far behind.

12. mark

mark Member

Color-Warming polarizor or an 81a
    BW-yellow or orange so far, but red comes in handy for drama.

13. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, this is stupid question #2350. How do you tell what is what by the different manufactueres designation? I have the basic yellow, red, orange filters, but there are many that I'm looking for, and faced with some strange number, I have no clue if it is a yellow green or purple. Any information out there to tell what is what?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Aggie,

I understand your question and concern. In fact I have had the same concerns. The only way that I know to accurately determine the effects among differing manufacturers is to compare the spectral characteristics of the filter. A manufacturer who is of good repute will have this as published information.

In lieu of that, one can read the filter through the four channels of a color transmission densitometer. In fact, in my opinion, that method is actually more accurate insofar as the filter factors involving additional exposure.

Good luck

16. mark

mark Member

Aggie
    When in doubt call the seller and ask. better yet go in and look at them. Then again I am not very picky and stick to the basics.

17. Shesh

Shesh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aggie,
    Just call them and ask for their catalogs. I use filters from 4 manufacturers - B+W, Heliopan, Nikon and Hi-tech (for split ND) and got all the relevent information from them.

My most commonly used filter for B&W is a yellow-green filter from B+W.

18. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use three filters most... a UV, a Yellow (K2), and a linear polariser.

20. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd have to say my most used filter is a coffee filter. Gotta get woke up in the morning. After that it's a red filter or an R-72 infrared if I'm shooting the stuff.

21. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL - you beat me to it.....
    For me yellow, green, orange or red and often ND depending on the situation and effect I'm after (there uses already identified).

22. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mostly orange (21??) or yellow (8). Here in the UK we often need a litttle help with contrast... I use a 23A (very close to orange really) too and have just bought a 25 for a bit more kick. I also use a yellow-green quite a lot.

23. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mostly orange (21??) or yellow (8). Here in the UK we often need a litttle help with contrast... I use a 23A (very close to orange really) too and have just bought a 25 for a bit more kick. I also use a yellow-green quite a lot.

24. mikeb_z5

mikeb_z5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! Very helpful info indeed. From what I gather yellow and orange would be the flavors of choice?

I guess another question would be how do you compensate your exposures? Meter through the filter? Film manufacturers data sheet? or do you use a constant adjustment for each filter on all film types?

Thanks again,

Mike

25. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a yellow quite a bit. Polarizer isn't far behind. I often use ND filters too.

26. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the manufacturer's info and if the images come out dense or thin adjust accordingly. I have also metered through them as well. My wife's camers (Nikon FE2 with a great internal meter) has through the lens metering and so I make no adjustments.