what lenses for 20x24" ?

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Falkenberg, May 23, 2008.

1. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Since my 20x24" camera project is moving along nicely, I am trying t find out wich lenses will cover 20x24". Is there a list of lenses some where ? I know there are some brand new ones on the market, but what older lenses will cover ?

2. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    19" Dagor...30" Artar...35" Artar. You could also look for a 24" Dagor( if you can find one..very rare) and the price would probably be near what a xxl 550 would cost you. Of course if you are going to plunck down that kind of cash for 20x24 sheet film then I'm sure a 4000-5000 dollar lens is no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  3. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

42" Artar, 550 and 1100 Schneider XXL

4. TracyStorer

TracyStorer Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi, there are some other process lenses for less money that will/should work as well. If you can find any Eastman Anastigmat process lenses 19.75" and longer will cover....the longer the better. Also Apo-Ronars longer than 600mm are fantastic if they can be had at a good price.
    Good Luck!

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Manhattan Optical 19" triple convertible rapid-rectilinear that should cover nicely with the rear element or the front element solo (19-27-37 focal lengths I believe). I have only ever seen this one, so they may be somewhat rare. If you get in to antique lenses, many of the BIG petzvals listed as covering 12x16 or larger will probably fully illuminate 20x24, but of course you'll lose significant sharpness outside the listed coverage area, even if used at portrait distances.

In modern lenses, if you can shake one loose, the 750 Apo-Germinar will cover, and the 600 Apo-Germinar MIGHT at portrait distances. The 600 will vignette at infinity. Both will likely be found in barrel.

6. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Scott, Good point. I use the rear half of a 14 1/2" Verito on my 8x20 and 12x20 for portraiture. It becomes a 24" lens configured this way and there is no noticable loss in performance. ( still has that gorgeous Verito bokeh). So an 18" Verito's rear half becomes a 30" soft focus lens that just may cover 20x24 at portrait distances. It would be interesting to see the results with it on a 20x24.

7. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I also own a Versar Portrait and View 17x20 lens f.6 ( 22 1/2") that can be used like the Verito. With using just the rear element you have a 45" lens. Now that would cover with ease. For portraiture you may need 6 ft of bellows...or more.

8. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Robert,

Can you post a few pics taken with the Versar?

Also, is the van fully converted? If so, how is it working out?

Thanks,

Joe

9. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Joe, I'm digitally challenged. But I just so happened to have just picked up a Canon 8mp point and shoot. Its still in the box. I bought it for just that reason, to get a website up and running. I'll try and post an 8x20 that I shot with the Versar here in the near future. As far as the van goes. It is far from finished. I stopped working on it over the winter. I do have a new darkbox for wet plate coming from Steve in Rochester. This will accomodate a 12x20 plate. I seem to have to many irons in the fire. Currently I'm getting the jappanned tin plate production up and running and preparing to get the first sample plates sent off to the wetheads for feedback. As for the van.. I did eliminate the black plexi door that you pointed out wasn't completely opaque. I will go with Porter's darkcloth covers for the red plexi door and window as you suggested. Plus there are numerous little light leaks coming from the rear and side doors that I have fixed. After seeing Bill working right along on his new trailer it has got me anxious for getting started to complete it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  10. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    De Golden Busch (Milles Girot) 610mm
    Both of the XXL Fine Art lenses
    750 and 1000 Doktor Geronar lenses (both in shutter)
    30 inch artar
    30" dagor

11. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    30" Dagor? WOW! Now there is one I've only read about. I bet that baby'll cover the side of a barn.

12. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the input, now I know what to look for. I have been offered a Emil Busch Comb 36" II lens. I have no idea if it will cover that format. The guy selling has no experience with lenses (he sell antiques). I has no lensboard and is very cheap. I am thinking about using it on my 12x16" camera too. I guess it will cover that format without any problems.

13. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mikkel
    In photografica they have an Emil Busch 36" comb II lens for 6000 kr. It's gigantic!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is a list of vintage lenses for 20X24 at the following site. http://www.wisner.com/20x24lens.htm
    Most of these will be hard to find, and some very expensive.

In the modern era the best buys would be process lenses in the 30-35" range. Any lens of this type (Apo-Tessars, Apo-Nikkors, Red Dota Artars, etc.) will cover 20X24 easily. For super modern types, the 600mm Fujinon A would be a great lens, and the best of all is the 550 XXL Schenider, which is really a multi-coated Dagor type lens, and super contrasty. But you will have to pay a lot for the 600mm Fujinon-A and the 550 XXL.

Any Dagor of 19" or more should cover 20X24 with movements, but these also tend to cost a lot.

Sandy King

16. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Will this cover 20x24" format - Goerz Apochromat Artar 14/42 Inch. It is for sale at almost local auction.

The antique dealer want 500 kr for the lens I mentioned above. I guess I am buying it just to check it out.

17. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a 14" Apo-Artar will barely cover 8x10. If it is a 42" Artar, it should cover 20x24 with no problem. I've not heard of a 14/42 before - is that supposedly a convertible lens?

18. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That would be a good choice. It is a 42" f14 lens. It will cover a 22x27" plate at 1:10 and a 42x48" plate at 1:1. But you will need lots of bellows.

19. makan

makan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fujinon 600C is a great lens for the format. Doesn't weight anything.

20. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I reckon that my 600m f/9 apo-rodagon process lens should cover 20x24 with some movement. The thing just weighs so much, I think you can forget putting it on a wooden camera. I did take it past 1:1 with a ridiculous piece of aluminum extrusion as a rail, but you know what my problem was? Couldn't reach all the way from the darkslide to the lens to hand shutter it. :rolleyes: Now that is a problem, when you need an assistant just to pull a darkslide.

Besides all these glorious oldies, what about pinhole :wink: Should be quite special at that size.

21. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Pinhole is also on my plan, just need to figure out the size of the hole.

22. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does this lens cover 20x24": Voigtländer Apo-Skopar 9/45cm

23. Hugo Zhang

Hugo Zhang Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Voigtlander Apo-Skopar 45cm f/9 will not cover 20x24, nor Apo-Skopar 60cm f/9. The Apo-Skopar 75cm f/9 will cover. On the other hand, Apo-Skopar 45cm f/9 is a very sweet lens for 8x10.:smile:

24. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I wish there was an easy way to find out wich lenses will cover what format. I can be a lot of money to spend on something that might not work.

The Goerz Apochromat "red dot" Artar 14/42 Inch, looks to be be the 42" f14 version from what I can see on the picture.

25. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Why would you need to reach from the darkslide to the shutter? I work a lot with 36" of bellows out on a ULF camera. You pull the darkslide...move up to your lens.. make the exposure ..then step back and replace the darkslide. I must be misunderstanding your statement about needing an assistant just to pull your darkslide. Also, you can use some pretty heavy lenses on a wooden view camera by using a monopod to support the lens. It takes a lot of weight off of your front standard.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  26. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Falkenberg, Go to...mamutphoto.com. Click on equipment.Then on the "behemoth eye lenses" article. There they give you a list of lenses and their image circles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008