what N75 lenses allow metering?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an N75 body with a broken pop-up flash. I think it would make a nice light meter if I could get a lens for it that would enable matrix metering. What's the cheapest lens I can get that will enable matrix metering? What about regular metering? KEH has some off-brand zooms for like $10, but I'm not sure if they work with the N75.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe any AF or or newer manual focus lens with the Nikon mount will work. I am not sure about the AI lenses. Go to the Nikon website and download the manual. If it is not there check out http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ and donate $3 for the manual.

Steve

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Matrix only works with "chipped" lenses. Only manual Ai-P lenses deliver matrix. Ai-AIS will deliver spot and centre-weighted only. Some of the plasticky Nikon kit zooms like the variable aperture 28-80 and 35-80 certainly deliver on "cheap."

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also check out the Tamron lenses. The Tamron f/3.8 28mm to 300mm is on par with the Nikon 28mm to 200mm [I have both] when one accounts for the 200mm versus the 300mm. For two zoom lenses of equal covering the same ranges the one will the shorter zoom range with be better over its range [fewer compromises] than the longer one over the same range. That said, comparing the same subject at the same focal length, anyone would be hard pressed to say which came from which lens.

5. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, I'm not educated in the ways of Nikon, so these acronyms mean nothing to me. When I shop for lenses, they never say if the lens is Ai-P or whatever; I guess you are supposed to be able to tell.

I literally don't care about quality, I only want something to pop on so I can use the camera as a meter. I don't think the N75 has spot metering, but if I get a long lens, that's almost as good. I was looking at the 70-200 off-brand zooms on KEH for like $10 but after reading further I don't think they will work with metering. Will any AF lens work, or are there even AF lenses that will not work with the N75?

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call KEH and ask they will know. If there is a problem, you can always return it to them for one that works with the matrix meter. Just ask them to pay the return postage.

You are correct the N75 does not have a spot meter.

Steve