What Nikon Non AI lenses to consider?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by edcculus, Oct 24, 2012.

1. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Nikon F2 and am looking to expand my lens collection. I also have a Canon F1 with a ton of FD lenses I inhereted from my grandfather. There is just something about the Nikon I just like better though. When I'm reaching for a camera, it always seems to be the Nikon.

I currently only have a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens. I really love this lens, but was looking to get something wider. Any suggestions on something specific to look for? Since Its an F2, its OK if the lens is non AI, especially if it will make it cheaper.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on your own photographic style but a 105/2.5 might come in handy. Plenty of them around at good prices.

3. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm mainly shooting landscapes/stills at the moment. 90% B&W. I am somewhat interested in getting into portraits soon also.

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    105/2.5
    28/2.8
    35/2
    24/2.8

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    105/2.5, Nikkor-P, either version is fabulous.
    55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor-P. Focusses from half lifesize to infinity, slow but very good.
    50/2.0 Nikkor-H. Like a Summicron-R with a tiny bit of barrel distortion (which you'll never notice).
    20/3.5 Nikkor-UD, big, heavy, and excellent.
    35/2.0 Nikkor-O - not one of their legendary lenses, but I like mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  6. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had a Nikon F2 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens and wanted to expand my lens collection for shooting landscapes, still life, and portraits, here is what I would get in descending order of priority:

1. Nikon 28mm f/2.8 (for landscapes)
    2. Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro (for portraits and still life)
    3. Nikon 18mm f/3.5 (only if I needed something wider than the 28mm)

7. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try to find an 85/1.8HC or 135/2.8 for portraits. The 105/2.5 is over-priced and over-rated. The 55/3.5 macro is widely available, cheap, and pin-sharp. Check out the lens reviews at www.nikonlinks.com, too.

8. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. I was able to use some of these suggestions, and search "nikkor non-ai" on fleabay to get an idea of what was out there. I'm likely going to try picking up a wide lens first, then look at the 105mm later.

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Assuming you have a metered prism, it would be important to ensure non-AI metering without having to resort to stop-down metering. Which prism do you have?

Amongst the 28/2.8 Nikons, the AIS is widely agreed to be superior to all other models (even AF). The 28/3.5 is often overlooked but certainly respectable and very inexpensive. If you're entertaining thoughts of ever aquiring a more recent Nikon, I would bypass the non-AI lenses and go with AI or AIS for metering capability. Would be a bummer to have to regularly do stop-down metering on any number of bodies.

11. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its a F2 Photomic with DP-1 head.

How would I tell if the lens is non-AI metering? I don't have to use stop down with the 50mm. Would the "Auto" on the lens indicate this?

12. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The MIR site is your bible, spend a couple of days reading. :smile: Auto means auto stop down on exposure and meter reading wide open. See the MIR site for all else, I'm pretty sure the DP-1 head is for pre AI lenses, there is also a head that uses the "newer" AI lenses.

13. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I've ran across that site a few times. I'll make sure to scour it for all of the information I can.

My head/meter is not AI. I have to "twist/twist" to get the lens to index. The lenses I have do not have the cut out on the foot that couples with the head. I don't change lenses much on this camera since the only other one I have is a zoom, but I've gotten so use to twisting to index that I was actually a little confused when I started using the Canon F1 and FD lenses.

14. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indexing pre ai really isn't a hassle at all.

15. whlogan

whlogan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The guy who added the 20mm f3.5 is the right guy.... best lens I ever used and cheap now.... go ge3t one right away
    Logan

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AI or non-AI lenses will work fine on your F2, the only requirement is that they have the coupling prong which is the half-moon shaped thing screwed to the f/stop ring at 5.6.
    The AI lenses have a second set of f/stop numbers engraved on the ring near the body and a milled out ledge that engages with the auto indexing lever on F3 and later bodies.
    I think there are full explainations of all this on the mir site.

17. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    105, 105, 105, 105

My best lens. And I have many.