what process came before C-22 if any?.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by spoolman, Dec 10, 2013.

1. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I was curious as to whether there was any process that preceded C-22 if any?. I googled "kodak colour processes for colour negs" and got a whole lot of vague material but no definitive answer.

Doug:smile:

2. septim

septim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the information I can find seems to point to the color negative process prior to C-22 was just refereed to as Kodacolor Processing. Below is some of the information I found (for revision two of the Kodacolor processing):

So I have also found reference to "Type B Processing" and "B-41" processing for EKTACOLOR (Yes, color not chrome) and "Vericolor Processing" for Type S and L Vericolor (1) film (Prior to Vericolor II/III which used standard C-41) the B and B41 processing certainly predates C22 but I believe that the Vericolor Processing was around at the same time as the C-22 processing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I am aware, the Vericolour I films used the same processing as the amateur films. I expect that the labs who processed a lot of Vericolour I probably were pro labs, with high volumes and increased quality control efforts, so a reference to Vericolour processing may have been a reference to the quality control procedures used by those labs.

5. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks Mr. Bill for that info. I remember when I worked at B.G.M. colour lab in Toronto in the mid to late 70's when we were in the process of converting from C-22 to C-41 that we kept getting film marked "Vericolour" no I,II, or III and someone pointed out that it was process C-22 not C-41. Before that, some of this film accidently made it into C-41 and gummed up the processor because of the temp. differences.

Doug:smile:

6. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never seen anything about Kodak's proprietary Kodacolor process; septim's comments are quite a revelation. The bleach used must have been similar to the bleach for black and white reversal films, removing developed silver but leaving undeveloped halide. The method of producing the mask is quite innovative. Unfortunately, the product was not so great.