What process...?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dave Swinnard, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the world of "alt. printing" is there a process that yields prints with black tones similar to those obtained on the '80s vintage Oriental Seagull toned in KRST (selenium)... intense (high Dmax) and somewhat on the cool side of neutral. I expect the whites will be set by the choice of papers.

I recently attended a Pd printing workshop (fun and eye-opening) and left wondering whether any of the processes will come close to my favourite silver prints. I've been through a number of my references and have been poking about on various websites but can't find an answer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

2. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Carbon would probably be your best bet.

3. dwross

dwross Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would have to agree with Kerik in that you can obtain a very high Dmax with carbon. I never printed on The vintage Oriental paper you mention, but with carbon you can make infinite adjustments to achieve the blacks you are after.

Jim

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Carbon transfer prints made from black tissue can easily have a reflective Dmax of over log 2.0. However, to get this kind of Dmax requires that the tissue is optimized for the DR of the negative being used and the light source.

The Dmax will be less with most other colors.

Sandy