What really motivates you?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by gr82bart, Jun 30, 2005.

What motivates you?

1. Appreciation

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Attitude

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Effort

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Encouragement

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Excellence

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  6. Innovation

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  7. Leadership

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Service

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  9. Success

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  10. Teamwork

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I was walking by some of the my fellow colleague's offices and notice that they have 'motivational' posters - http://www.motivationusa.com/

So I ask myself "Hmmm...what motivates APUGers?"

Art. (I forgot to check the poll feature in the other message...)

Attached Files:

2. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, for one, despise "motivational" posters. I think that they would make great dartboards - but I'm just a cynic at heart. What does tend to motivate me though (at least from that list of 10), is the appreciation of my clients for the work I deliver and the effort I show in making their project work.

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Same for me. Motivation posters tend to become hollow propaganda. Only the Suits like them, but they can seldom walk the walk.

Motivation towards what, Art? You kinda left your question dangling, not directed at anything specific.

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am with Bob and Alex, I always felt the motivational posters were a way for my boss to blow smoke up my a**, every time I saw one of those posters I told my boss I would be more motivated if I had a raise in salary. Of course people said I had a bad "atitude"......BTW I liked this one from www.despair.com

5. kwmullet

kwmullet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Growth

If I can execute some form of expression that represents a marked
    technical, artistic or spiritual improvement over what's gone before.

Communion

If the making, showing or discussion of a work increases the bandwidth
    between myself and other like-minded individuals.

Spirituality

If the finger pointing at the moon really does have something to say
    about the moon.

Consistency of vision and execution

If the image in my head when I release the shutter either matches or at
    least is as pleasing as the final print.

6. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art,

why did you leave out 'money'? - it seems one of the biggest motivating factors for the company that produces this sickening office horror - wow, as a European and self-employed non-office person, I just experienced another profound culture shock.

Although I could think of some office people I'd love to send such posters to :wink:

7. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Love.

Michael

8. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I agree with Jorge, especially about his former boss. I think I have a pointy-haired boss like the one in Dilbert who is in charge of the department. :smile: Okay, I have been known to tell my boss that I'd be motivated by more money too.

I don't care for the motivational sayings, but the pictures are usually interesting.

9. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that the motivational posters are used for administrators to feel good about themaselves..."See what I'm doing to motivate my people? I went and bought all of these pretty, and expensive, framed motivational posters"... All the while, thinking in the back of their head, "Now I don't have to actually motivate"...

It's sheer laziness, IMHO"

My motivation comes from wanting to produce, do, or be the best that I possibly can; so that I know that I did a good job. Everytime I hear a supervisor say "Good job!", I think, "Is he saying that because he thinks its good or is he trying to motivate me???"

Peer feedback usually lets me know if I'm "in tune" with what's going on around me. I sometimes step (or jump) outside the box, just to see what my co workers reactions will be. Its fun and keeps them on they're toes, too.

Excellence is its own reward.

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Echhh. Corporate culture. Echhh.

11. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ummm...pretty women.

12. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amen and Amen...lucky my boss knows how to keep me happy...LEAVE ME ALONE...let me know what he needs me to do and it gets done.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now why am I not surprised? :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While those are all nice things, none of them motivates me at all.

I know this will sound either depressing or pathetic, but what motivates me most is sadness and pain, and the need to express it.

Most of my favorite work has been done during the darkest periods of my life. I think the need and ability to express otherwise 'unbeautiful' emotions is an incredible motivator. I can either internalize everything and let it eat me alive, or I can use light, film, and my eyes and hands to express it in a tangible way.

While I am motivated by love, beauty, honesty, intelligence, courage, clarity, and wisdom...... it's sadness that moves me to create.

16. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my most memorable meetings was just after joining IBM. The manager asked if anyone brought the manuals for the new review process. One guy in the back stated, "I mailed mine to the guy who writes Dilbert".

Matt

17. jim kirk jr.

jim kirk jr. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Marvellous.

18. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    None of the selections offered.

In photography, I'm after the "Zen archery" feel, the sweet feeling in the trigger finger (or fingers, in the case of archery) when you know it's a perfect shot. The picture itself doesn't really matter, that's just a confirmation that what you already know is correct.

It's happened once or twice, and I hope it will happen again.

19. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to go the Coleehogan. The images usually grab my attention and I often ignore or read the caption last, then ignore.

As for motivation: overbearing, condensending, bosses or over-caffinated, "listen to how great I am", with the long ago tired "think outside the box" motivational speakers just have the opposite effect. Or perhaps I should say it motivates me to strangle them. (not that I would, the laws tend to frown on behaving that way. :sad: )
    I'm motivated more by people who show respect for everyone involved, not afraid to get their hands dirty, will let people know when a good job was done. People who know their craft, do good work, and are willing to share the knowledge. Willing to show/explain how, so you too, can do good work in your own way.
    Hmm... Perhaps that's why I like this place so much.

20. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh heavens... as a former Quality Manager, whose job it was to get people to "play nice together," I have to say that those posters as misguided attempts at motivation. If you want to motivate people you must spend some time getting to know what motivates them, and being honest with them. Needless to say, I was very good at my job, but very unorthodox... I tended to make management a wee bit uneasy. haha :D

As for creativity... I agree with Cheryl. All good poetry is borne of pain.

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  22. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Very Interesting.

Although this isn't my motivation but a lot of artist and musicians are moved to create by pain and sadness.

It's paradoxical that by expressing themselves in artistic ways they ease the pain and sadness and by doing so remove their motivation to create.

Michael

23. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What "motivates" me? Nothing on the list. It could be an idea from reading something, some sort of accidentnal "seeing" of an image - a word spoken by... ?? I am entranced (!!) by those of the opposite gender -- mainly through their personalities ...

To tell the truth .. I don't really know. I'm not even sure that finding that "knowledge" would be desirable...
    Spontaneity is *wonderful*... as are unexpected discoveries....

You too, huh!!

I was nearly crucified at one of those innumerable "Motivational" sessions ... They result in the "zombiefication" of those attending. I finally "cracked":

"I have HAD IT with all this talk! We have been talking and planning, and giving out trinkets, for three years! When the hell do we get to the "DO"? Everyone in this room knows exactly what is needed. Give us the tools and AUTHORITY to do what we know should be done, and you will have a marvellous, shining Quality System in place within a week! We are *Executives* here! Damnit, let us EXECUTE!"

Not well received. Management decided to continue as they were ... talking - with 30% (THIRTY PERCENT) of finished product going out the door DOA on initial set-up.

I *LOVE* the post by MattCarey about "mailing to the creator of Dilbert"!! Dilbert is funny because the situations there ARE so close to the truth!

24. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Those posters make my ass twitch......... But, sadly enough, fear, is probably my main motivator.

I fear being alone, so, I treat my girlfriend better and I try not to be such a selfish pig.
    I fear being a crappy father, so I am motivated to be honest, trustworthy and nuturing as much as possible.
    I fear failing as a photographer and the only way I can fail, is to give up or become complacent or just blow it off, like I am prone to to do from time to time.

I am rarely motivated. I usually spend more time reading about photography and dreaming about photography than I do practicing photography. Like most things in my life... However, in a pinch, I always come through. SO, I tend to put myself in over my head... I am always behind on everything but that is the only way I get anything done at all. I can make the impossible, possible but I make the easy things, way too hard...

Please, do not let me girlfriend know I admitted these things.......

25. stark raving

stark raving Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dessert.

26. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    None of the items listed would motivate me on iota if I felt like it was being given insincerely. On the contrary, if somebody is trying to motivate by offering any of these, I am very likely to be completely demotivated. maybe, even motivated to rebel.