What RRS Rails for Bronica?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by RedSun, Jun 5, 2014.

1. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a monopod with RRS head with clamp. But I do not have any plate. I called RRS, but they told me a couple of rails for the Bronica. I have all 3 Bronica models. But the rail B82 they mentioned is for zoom lens. So I still do not know what rail to order. I can always order the multi-purpose MPR rail(s).

Anyone here who has the RRS stuff?

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if the clamp you have is the screw in type, any arca-swiss type camera plate will work just fine. Even if you have the flip-lock type of clamp, the proper tension adjustment only takes a second or two. They don't cater to those of us using real cameras and likely don't make any bronica plates. No need spend hundreds of dollars on their plates anyway.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=arca+swiss+quick+release+plate&_sop=15

I have two bronicas and use generic plates off ebay on them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  3. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use the B82 plate with my ETRSi, and mount it on a BH-40 with lever release. It works fine although (a) you have to mount the plate from the front of the body towards the back, which is at right angles to the normal left/right orientation of plates; and (b) it covers up the battery access cover (although not a problem as the battery does not have to be replaced often). I also use the same plate with my Winder Ei 2 grip, again mounted fore/aft not left/right. It works fine.

Cheers
    Andrew

4. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the MH-01 pro head (monopod), just like shown here:

zoom-rrsweb-1-MH-01-Pro-Isometric-Monopod-Head-8BIT-1.png
    or
    zoom-rrsweb-1-MH-01-Pro-Isometric-Monopod-Head-8BIT-1.png
    I just need the plate to go under the camera, or the grip. I do not need any bracket, etc....

5. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you show a photo with the rail on? Thx.

6. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It appears all the PU50, PU60 or PU70 would do it. It only costs a few $. I was going to spend $55 to get one.....

Just ordered the PU 60. It is the same size as my clamp...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    having the plate the same length (or longer) than the base of your camera can make it easier to slide the camera in and also makes for more contact to the camera which makes things sturdier. Having an extra long plate on hand for macro work is also a good thing because it allows you to move the entire camera in/out without moving the tripod.

8. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still do not know how the L-bracket etc., works. Since this is only a monopod, I'd like to everything small and not in the way of the my hands. I just figure the monopod would help with my heavy GS-1 body or in low light condition.

9. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    L-Brackets in Use

See this post http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/67969-l-bracket-bronica-rf645-contax-g2.html for l_brackets in action on an RF645.

10. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the power grips for all the Bronicas. So I do not know if that fits.

11. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    DSC_5818_DxO.jpg

The is the Really Right Stuff B82 plate mounted on a Bronica ETRSi.

Note that while I originally installed the plate running from front to back because I thought that otherwise it would foul the bevel at the edge of the tripod mount, when I was reinstalling it now for the pictures I found that it actually clears the bevel, so it is possible to install it running left to right as shown. However it does still block access to the battery compartment.

Cheers
    Andrew

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  12. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have the grip on, the edge of the plate would be in conflict with the lock knob. Unless you run it from front to back, which makes it awkward in handling. This is the reason I like the plain plate without the edge. A simple plate is all I need.

13. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received the quick release plate I purchased off eBay for $5. It is exactly what I needed. I was only thinking of getting it from RRS for $30+. There is not a lot to commend on it. It is just a plate and it fits the RRS clamp I have.